Srollsaw blade selection help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grommet

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm about to purchase my first scrollsaw and I would like to order some extra blades at the same time.
Being a complete novice with this type of saw, i'm unsure what blades i'll need to start with.
Could anyone give me some advice on what would be a good selection of blades and sizes to get me going.
Many thanks
Roger

Hi Roger

Which saw are you about to buy? There are two types of saw blades available, those with pins which usually 'rock' on the saw's arms, and those which are flat and clamped into the saw's arms. Generally speaking, saws which use the flat blades are the better choice.

You might find this thread quite helpful, and don't forget to have a look at the Hegner UK, Hobbies of Dereham and Shestowebsites too - they all sell decent flat blades.

Gill

Hi Gill,
Thankyou for the links. I know it's one of those 'how long's a piece of string questions'.
I think most of my first cuts will be in 1/4- 1/2 MDF or Ply, just to get the feel, and to find my way around the saw.
It sounds like i'll need to order a selection of blades and sizes, and just go for it.
I'm going to buy a Hegner 2SV.

If you buy a Hegner 2SV you'll almost certainly get a selection of Hegner's own blades supplied with the saw. They're pretty decent quality and, if I run out of the Flying Dutchman blades which I tend to prefer, I find them to be very acceptable alternatives. I haven't bought any new blades from Hegner for quite a while but the last time it only took them 2 days to deliver from the time I ordered on-line.

I'm sure you'll be delighted with your new saw - I love mine :) .

Gill

Hi Roger,

For the wood you want to cut the FD-Two Way Cut is the best. Glue is very hard on blades. This blade stands up against glue better than other blade. Regular plywood is not used much, most prefer the Baltic Birch Ply.
Gill knows about my blades. I sell to quite a few customers in the UK.

Mike

Thankyou Gill and Mike for your help,
Ordered the saw today, should all arrive in the next few days. (can't wait :D )
Those FD blades certainly sound good.
Roger

Hello Roger

Your blade selection will depend on what type of scrolling you will be doing, what material you will be using and the max thickness of that material. For instance you would not use a number 5 to saw veneer. The style of blade is also very important wether its is a skip tooth, double tooth, reverse tooth, etc... Some blades will cut faster and dull quicker than blades that cut slower. I find the skip tooth design to be fairly aggressive but don't last as long as the double tooth design. My suggestion is this. Buy small quantites of different size and styles and try them to see which one works the best for you. Different saws do not cut the same with like blades. I never cut plywood, only thin hard wood I mainly use Maple, Walnut, Cherry, Mahogany and QS Sycamore. I also never cut more than 3/4" thickness. I will give you a hint since you are new to scrolling. Do not use soft wood such as pine to practice on. The differences between the soft wood between the growth rings can be very frustrating as they cut at a differant rate. Use plywood or thin hard wood with a max thickness of 3/8" until you "get the feel" of your saw.

Terry

Back