Sreaking when rubbing back sanding sealer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dickymint

Established Member
Reaction score
I have applied my first coating's of sanding sealer.

All is well until I rub back it back (using a drill mounted sanding disc, clogs the grit very quickly though!) what happens is that streaks (of sealer?) appear.

On the first application I considered that I had been a little too liberal with the liquid however, application #2 was applied quite sparingly.

I have cut the first streaks back with 240 grit and the last coat back with 00 wire wool the streaks have now been removed.

Are the sreaks a result of poor technique?

Or to be expected?

Note:- #1 coat dried for 2 hours, #2 coat dried over night.

You advice would be most welcome,

Richard

Richard,
Could you please amplify what you are doing and have done so far? I can hardly believe you are using a rotary sanding disk on an item that is in the finishing stages. :?: :?:

Richard, which sanding sealer?
If Chestnut cellulose Sealer have you diluted it with thinners? (about 30-40 %)

Have you done this:
1: Sand wood down through 120-180-240 and maybe 320 grits, removing all scratches and tool marks.
2: Wiped on Sanding sealer and let dry (1-2minutes at most) if preferred with lathe revolving burnish it in with moist application cloth to speed up drying and raise Gloss finish.
3: If fibres raised or sealant buildup streaks are evident cut down lightly by hand (Lathe revolving) with 320 grit.
4: Apply Wax whilst stationary with a piece of Webrax or coarse cloth.
5: With lathe revolving at slowish speed, burnish with Cotton (flannelette)cloth.

That is all that has been applied to most of my items up to page 6 in the gallery.
From finished sanding to Polished Look 3-4 minutes at most.

waterhead37 Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:20 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richard,
Could you please amplify what you are doing and have done so far? I can hardly believe you are using a rotary sanding disk on an item that is in the finishing stages.

OK, I'll use CHJ's post to answer.

Richard, which sanding sealer?
If Chestnut cellulose Sealer have you diluted it with thinners? (about 30-40 %)

Liberon Spirit Sanding Sealer, not diluted, as not instructed to do so.

Have you done this:
1: Sand wood down through 120-180-240 and maybe 320 grits, removing all scratches and tool marks.
Yes, all external wood prep done.
2: Wiped on Sanding sealer and let dry (1-2minutes at most) if preferred with lathe revolving burnish it in with moist application cloth to speed up drying and raise Gloss finish.
Yes, however instructions are "dry for a minimum of 1 hour then sand very thoroughly with 240-320 grit".
3: If fibres raised or sealant buildup streaks are evident cut down lightly by hand (Lathe revolving) with 320 grit.
Streaking was not at all apparent until coat was cut back, if fibres had lifted they were not easy to see and the streaks then selves were not patches but fine lines 0.5mm or less?
4: Apply Wax whilst stationary with a piece of Webrax or coarse cloth.
Not applied wax yet as haven't got a neutral coloured wax.
5: With lathe revolving at slowish speed, burnish with Cotton (flannelette)cloth.
I have burnished the cut back sealer with soft cotton and it's come up a treat.

That is all that has been applied to most of my items up to page 6 in the gallery.
From finished sanding to Polished Look 3-4 minutes at most.
Hmmmmm, given that I've got to wait at least an hour for the coat to dry, Your sealer method is much, much quicker.
I would have posted a picky but didn't think to take one.

Your comments and advice are much appreciated,

Richard.

Dickymint":gsmptf1f said:
....snip....
Liberon Spirit Sanding Sealer, not diluted, as not instructed to do so.

Not used that myself so cannot pass an opinion, no doubt someone else can expand on it's use. It looks like it might be shellac based.
I note that it says Lightly sand with 240-320grit.
I would not call any form of rotary disc sanding Light.
I would say minimum hand pressure only to remove any minor trapped dust high spots etc.

....but fine lines 0.5mm or less?
Sounds more like scratches that have penetrated the sealer back to bare wood.

....I have burnished the cut back sealer with soft cotton and it's come up a treat.

You have a result.

....Your comments and advice are much appreciated,
Richard.

Thats what we are all here for; please do not take every comment as gospel though, some of us are still only just ahead of you on the learning curve, try and garner a collection of preferences/tips and select those that suit how you prefer to work.

Back