spraying

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugo35

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all, am looking to learn how the spray lacquer and useing other finishes . does anyone know of where i could learn this. have looked in mags but most are french polishing(would love to learn that) and restoration, not spraying. andy

Hi Lugo,
Seems no-one wants to answer you :?

Look for books on finishing - Taunton do a few. I have to say I haven't found a definitive treatise myself, and have thought about writing one, but my own spraying facilities are pretty basic anyway. I don't have a booth, so I am reliant on good weather to spray outside.

Basic tips are:
Keep everything spotlessy clean.
Thin your finish.
Light coats are better than heavy coats.

I know that's only a start, but I'm no expert - I only wish I were.

Cheers
Steve

I think the usual one that is cited is by Andy Charron or something like that - as I have read it but never put any of it into action, I'll leave someone else to comment. Seems well-informed to a novice.

I would also suggest looking at some of the automotive painting forums for info on spray technique, the principles of application are basically the same even if the products are not.

There is a useful guide to setting up your gun here:
http://www.autobody101.com/articles/article.php?title=Paint Atomization

and some info on how to present the gun to the work here:
http://www.autobody101.com/articles/article.php?title=Gun Travel

...........Just did a quick google and turned up this site, which could be just what you're looking for.
http://www.woodweb.com/KnowledgeBase/KBFinishingGeneral.html

HTH,

Simon

As recommended by Jake, the book you want is indeed Andy Charron's "Spray Finishing" (Taunton Press). Spraying furniture is a little different to spraying cars (both in materials and techniques), so I'd be wary of using a car spraying primer as your learning text.

Scrit

hiya asking again :oops:

does anyone know anyone who teaches spraying furniture.

or similar

andy

Andy,
Read the suggested book and give it a go. Also try to get a peek inside a car repair place where they spray. Those guys know plenty enough for furniture.

lugo35":fs92iyta said:
Does anyone know anyone who teaches spraying furniture.
Morrells used to run a training school as did deVilbiss in Bournemouth. You could try your local College of Further Educatuion, you might be lucky. You can learn the mechanics of spraying from a car sprayer, but what they don't have is any understanding of timber which is a bit of a drawback (try getting commercial quality furniture spraying done by a car sprayer and you'll find out!)

Scrit

got the chance for some free training, the job i've got in cabinet makers shop needs a sprayer. hoping if i can sort it out can get better pay :)

so far been unable to find anything
nothing on morells site
thanks for all the help so far andy

sorry think what i posted was abit misleading
after being made redundant i have £2k worth of training offered me. not got any training yet.

been offered a job, the training has to be relivant to the work im are doing.
any other training suggestions would be welcome.
found a 2.1/2 day spraying course but its in scotland im in wales :?

lugo35":zuseewrk said:
nothing on morells site
It's not on the site, you have to ring them. They are a very good and well respected trade supplier and are well worth contacting. The only downside is that they are in Stockport (although there is a direct train service from South Wales....).

Have you thought about contacting anyone in your area who sells professional spray equipment and wood or decorative finishes? For example we have a company called Dexter's in Burnley who make paints, sell spray gear and run some training - that sort of firm who do decorative paints. What about the professional spray gun manufacturers such as deVilbiss, Binks, Graco, Wagner, etc? Where do they run training courses?

Scrit

Back