Sprayed MDF Storage units.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mreagleeyes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks.
This is a sort of continuation from Matt_S post.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/desk-shelving-unit-t40172.html

Thanks to Matt, Paul & Simon (Oryxdesign) for the previous help from the post above.
I'll give you a call Simon before putting the coloured coat on.

This is my take on assembling & spraying MDF using the Earlex Spray system from Argos and paint from Morrells in Park Royal.

The spray system.
4471396434_8d4786bb9f_o.png

As a first time sprayer I thought I would go with a cheap system and see how I got on.

The drawings.
4470532113_a681de2427_b.jpg

Incorporating a boiler in the top right unit.

The lower large unit.
4470530013_67bf585116_b.jpg

Constructed using 19mm MDF and the good old Domino and screws. Titebond III through out. Could have done with a few more clamps but didn't have any more so had to do with 4.

Detailed section.
4470534423_e570f14e76_b.jpg

I decided to use the dominos as shelf supports like Matt had done from the previous thread and was unsure whether to spray with the dominos in place or spray with them removed, in the end I removed them.
I cut a 10mm 'slot' in the back edges to take the 6mm backing board.

The mistake.
4471321286_465d6efcba_b.jpg

Always check the machines for depth of cut. With so many varying depths of cut with the domino because of the 19mm MDF and whether your cutting in face or edge. A lesson learned.

The spray kit and paint.
4470540429_a5b80e1bdf_b.jpg

The units
4471326926_d662686d54_b.jpg

Preparing for spraying. I machine sanded all faces with the palm sander before construction using Grits from 160 - 240. I then gave a hand finish to bevel all edges and get rid of any glue and pencils marks.

Glue
4471358182_a57e390057_b.jpg

I wish that I had used the smaller of the dominos as the 6mm seem very large.

My spraying process
4471332396_8dda652d97_b.jpg

The bowl on the left contains the Thinners and I used this to clean out the sprayer and also store the needle of the sprayer over night. I could simply come in the following morning and assemble the 'gun' again with all components cleaned and ready to go.
I had to lightly clamp down the motor for the sprayer as once it's going it had a mind of it's own. A relatively noisy machine I thought.

Dust dust dust!!!.
4471362756_216311f79f_b.jpg

It gets everywhere. I was going to build a sort of sheeted booth but thought in the end that I would just give the place a good clean once finished.

And so does the paint.
4471368720_d8cc835291_b.jpg

Unfortunately not in a position to have a design room and also a workshop so I just get on with it. Think a bit of paint adds some character to a workshop.

First coat.
4471335114_5204415936_b.jpg

With other unit underneath and backing board to the right. Be aware of how you store the MDF, I was noticing that it was bowing slightly as I had stored it on edge leaning against the wall. I have since moved all components to a flat area.

Second coat Prior to sanding!!.
4471372620_c9d5bc515d_b.jpg

This makes it look awful but once sanded lightly I get a good clean finish that I'm happy with, If I'm wrong let me know.
I did discover that the spray system sometimes seemed to 'spit' the paint out and give large paint mark drops, as above. I'm hoping that once I get the hang of it for the final 2 colour coats I should have it in order.
I would be interested to find out the best method for finishing the surface, be that ScotchBrite, 1500 wet & dry or even a polishing process to give the surface a clean flat surface.

Preparing the shelves.
4471341182_96fb0caa34_b.jpg

The most important thing.
4470565669_d0eba5ee70_b.jpg

A good mask, the fumes get everywhere and even walking in to the yard the following morning I could smell the fumes in the air. The dog is with dad till I get these units out.

So first impressions. I find that for £50 you can't go wrong on the spray system and as an introduction to spraying it does the job.
The paint is relatively expensive, I have used just under 5 ltrs on the 2 units and back panels, there is still the large unit to make and spray but that's for tomorrow.
The domino has proved once again why it is such a great machine, all faces are perfectly square with each other and the precision of the repeated cuts that I got with the shelf supports makes it a top tool.
The primer dries in about 15 minutes, though I gave it 30 minutes as I got a little too keen at one stage and sanded though the dry section to the wet underneath and ended up with paint filled sandpaper. All a learning curve.

So just the large unit & doors to construct and spray and then the final coats of the clients colour, they are still undecided.
I am still undecided on how the units will be fixed to the breeze block wall, maybe some small corner pieces that I could screw into the inside corners and then in turn screw to the walls.

I'll keep this post updated until completion. Thanks for looking and that's all folks for the time being.
Patrick

I have to say, in your situation you couldn't go wrong with a bit of outdoor spraying. I've done it in the summer and other than a few creatures in the finish it saves all the fumes inside and everything ending up white.

The test of your gun will be can you get it clean enough to spray a lacquer coat at a later date? My plastic gun which looks identical to yours I can't get it clean enough anymore so that when I change colours or product a bit of the last stuff comes out with it.

i have the same sprayer and i pin up some old dustsheets.

ive also found the spray setting has to be set around 1/2 turn from closed so only a fine mist sprays, anymore and it starts spitting. i only spray waterbased so easy to clean

Patrick,

You seem to have used an excessive amount of paint on your two units, was that just base coat or both base and top coat ?

Did you thin any of the primer and paint ?

You should be able to get a smooth finish straight from the gun, although I do not know if that is possible with the Earlex.

Anyway that was a good first try, I think we have all been there.

I can only echo what has been said above - Get some cloth dustsheets from B+Q or similar they protect the stuff you are covering and are a bit absorbent to hold on to the overspray..... and your paint may be too thick which means the gun cannot atomise it properly resulting in the blob type spatter.

Apart from that it looks good :)

Patrick,
I agree with Paul the splattering looks like the paints not thinned enough, your gun looks the same as the one that came with my Apollo, I also got a problem with splattering when paint dries on the nozzle, to stop that I use a tooth brush on the nozzle after I sprayed each part.

Interesting thread and good pictures :)

Jeff

lemonjeff":3eojgud8 said:
Patrick,
I agree with Paul the splattering looks like the paints not thinned enough, your gun looks the same as the one that came with my Apollo, I also got a problem with splattering when paint dries on the nozzle, to stop that I use a tooth brush on the nozzle after I sprayed each part.

Interesting thread and good pictures :)

Jeff

The Earlex shouldn't have any issue spraying WB - anything else I don't know. I'v sprayed shellac with it in the past and it's gone on perfectly.

The one thing to bear in mind is that every now and then it's good practice to wipe your finger tip over the nozzle and air holes either side to remove the dried paint that accumulates there.

Assuming your paint is WB - did you run it thru the viscosity cup and get the flow under 60s or whatever it is?

I have to say, in your situation you couldn't go wrong with a bit of outdoor spraying.
Would be perfect, unfortunately the Gazebo has the large piece of Magnolia drying under it and the weather has been terrible here, there was even a report of snow!!.

I have bought 3 dust sheets so should be able to contain more of the over spray, I'm in a small workshop and everything seems to be getting in the way at the moment.

Did you thin any of the primer and paint ?
I checked the Viscosity of the paint and on the first attempt it seemed that the paint had been thinned too much as I was getting a sort of water spray, second attempt was a little better, around 10% mix and then I thought I would go 100% primer on the final coat, not something I would do again, lesson learnt on that one.

The one thing to bear in mind is that every now and then it's good practice to wipe your finger tip over the nozzle and air holes either side to remove the dried paint that accumulates there.
The two air holes on the nozzle seem to get blocked up very quickly, I put this down to the paint not being thinned enough.

You seem to have used an excessive amount of paint on your two units, was that just base coat or both base and top coat ?
All units have had two coats of primer, I was a little keen on getting a good edge on the front faces so these may have been 'Over' sprayed.
Is that possible?.

I've also found the spray setting has to be set around 1/2 turn from closed so only a fine mist sprays, anymore and it starts spitting.
I think this was one area that I got it wrong, I was seeing a much finer spray earlier today when I closed the needle a little more and as a result the 'spitting' paint was banished.

I have constructed the tall unit and will take all comments on board and will spray tomorrow with my new found knowledge.
Thanks all.

Mreagleeyes":3jibhuya said:
Be aware of how you store the MDF, I was noticing that it was bowing slightly as I had stored it on edge leaning against the wall. I have since moved all components to a flat area.

YEP learnt that one I never leave any mdf leaning against anything for any amount of time it doesnt take long to bow.

By the way you look like you're well on your way down the black and green slippery slope :lol:

By the way you look like you're well on your way down the black and green slippery slope

You're not wrong. And what a slope it is, looked at the Barrell Grip Jigsaw they do today in my local Festool dealer and I have talked myself into getting it. I have a perfectly good Bosch one at the moment but it's not that lovely Black & Green colour. Madness.
Some people dream of buying a sports car if the Lotto money came in, mine would be a huge workshop with the Systainers on every wall.

That really is madness. I love festool myself (ts55, of2200, of1400, domino & ctmidi) but bosch really do make fantastic jigsaws that last a lifetime.

That really is madness. I love festool myself (ts55, of2200, of1400, domino & ctmidi) but bosch really do make fantastic jigsaws that last a lifetime.

I find I have to thin the primer about 15%, it seems to be much harder to spray than the top coat. Don't worry though it's very easy to rub and you will end up with a good finish.

S

That speckled finish reminds me of my first and only attempt with my HVLP kit. I just found spraying for the 'DIY'er' to be too messy. You need a dedicated space to spray and plenty of patience with the setup. Good to know it wasn't just me who got those sort of results on the first go. Makes me want to try again.

Start with lacquer Tom, it's much easier, doesn't make so much mess and will give you the confidence to move on.

Simon

In the new issue of Good Woodworking magazine, Andy King makes a dead simple spray booth that could be set up outdoors and easily dismantled. :wink: I'm sure Steve Maskery also did something similar, a few years ago.

Oryxdesign":2d10vazg said:
Start with lacquer Tom, it's much easier, doesn't make so much mess and will give you the confidence to move on.

Simon

Cheers Simon. I'm sure I will pick your brains when the time comes ;)

Mreagleeyes

Is that water based paint and how much is the paint (The paint is relatively expensive,)

I am thinking of doing something like this myself

john

As Simon mentioned the primer is thicker and trickier to paint than the top coat. I found that 20% thinners worked for the primer. Did you get the pre cat or ac paint in the end? Top coat I thinned to just a little under 10% it is quite a bit thinner out of the tin.

Latest posts

Back