Spray guns for various wood finishes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonImprovements

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone use spray guns to apply lacquer or varnishes on your completed projects? If so, which ones?

Or if anyone has any advice on why or why not to use them, that would be a great help too :D

The new devilbiss stainless will take almost any finish. If you can find an older gti they are great guns and what I mainly use. Fine for everything except water based.

No problem with them as lo as you clean them and replace filters when needed. I'm sure some sata fans will be along soon.

Can't help directly but what type are you looking for? One to run off a compressor? Or the HVLP self contained type?

HVLP wastes much less finish as overspray than a conventional compressor setup (I've used old-school Devilbiss stuff and the Apollo HVLP)
Matt

HVLP spray guns can be turbine or compressor. Both can offer similar transfer efficiency.

The benefit of turbines are that they are a complete set up and are portable. Earlex, Bambi (apollo), Fuji, Graco all make a range of turbine systems. I think the spray guns for these systems are mostly pressurised cups sitting under the gun. This makes them balanced for spraying but the cup can get in the way. Also the tube is quite thick and may feel cumbersome. The turbine warms the air which can result in orange peel with some solvent based lacquers.

Conventional HVLP guns, such as a SATA 1000B, need quite a large compressor. Similar transfer efficiency to turbine, air pressure requirement is about 2.5 to 3 bar (from memory!). This particular gun can be set up with tip sizes from 1.0 to 5.0 for a very wide range of materials. I would guess a tip size of 1.6 for clear furniture lacquer and maybe a tip of 2.0 for external water based joinery paints.

If you want to do a lot of spraying or finish large items a cup gun will become frustrating and a pressurised system, conventional or air assisted airless.

I find spraydirect helpful, they supply the joinery and cabinetmaking trades so will be able to offer advise on merits of different systems.

When it comes to spraying, in most cases you will need to thin the material for a good finish.

For an absolute starter on this, what would a kit list look like? To apply stains and laquers?

Id start with a devilbiss flg with either a 1.6 or a 1.8mm tip gravity fed. If your using acid products ive been told to go for a blue cup, as they turn the whiteones brittle over time.

Just had a advance hd on demo and its quite a step up from the flg again. But alot more money..

Really you need,

Gun,
Air lines
Suitable. Compressor
Spraying area (most important but often an afterthought to beginner)
Measuring/mixing cups
Din cup
Cleaning set
Paint and suitable thinners/cleaning solvent.

Then abrasives/fillers etc

Bradshaw Joinery":3ovv72bk said:
+1

As a beginner (Fuji turbine HVLP system - great kit) this was an area (no pun intended) I struggled with - ended up in the garden under a plastic gazebo thingy. Add to that a drying area - without a drying rack, I struggled with finding sufficient horizontal support for numerous doors, panels etc I'd sprayed but didn't want covered in dust or bird carp!

Thanks! I'll start looking up that equipment. What about those electrical Earlex HV type machines... any good?

Mike.S":2rshp68m said:
Bradshaw Joinery":2rshp68m said:
+1

As a beginner (Fuji turbine HVLP system - great kit) this was an area (no pun intended) I struggled with - ended up in the garden under a plastic gazebo thingy. Add to that a drying area - without a drying rack, I struggled with finding sufficient horizontal support for numerous doors, panels etc I'd sprayed but didn't want covered in dust or bird carp!

Looking at your avatar, I think you need a better face mask ? :lol: :wink:

I've recently bought a little Clarke Bandit compressor for bradding wine racks etc but am now thinking about getting a spray gun as I do up the odd bit of furniture so wouldn't be used heavily. Am I urinating in a stiff breeze or is it worth a dabble with paint? Any advice great fully received!

sammy.se":3q6x48vi said:
Thanks! I'll start looking up that equipment. What about those electrical Earlex HV type machines... any good?

I started with the Earlex HV5000 and think it's great. I've just upgraded to a Fuji, but unless you want to spend £600+ on something then the Earlex HVLP are hard to beat!

The metal guns are so much better than anything cheaper I found at the time, it made decent work of lacquer/stains etc with the 1.0mm + 1.5mm needle.

I'm currently going through the same dilemma and it would be helpful if those with experience of the Earlex could comment on its limitations. What do you gain by moving up to a 4 phase turbine and/or a better gun like the Fuji? I've been looking at the Fuji Mini-Mite 3, for example, or the Apollo 1500. What can the Earlex NOT spray?

Thanks.

Back