Spray Can Advice--Clear Gloss

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you experience of using a spray can of clear gloss you have used and liked the results? If so which make did you use?
Yep - don't know the brand but it came from B&M - several light coats and the finish was excellent.

Tip: get a "trigger attachment" that fits on standard aerosol spray cans - the control of the spray is much better than just a finger on the nozzle (Amazon has them)

I've used this on slate and wood for a flat matt sealer/ finish. Just two coats gave great results

Plasti-Kote PKC4003hobby and Craft Sealer Aerosol Can, Clear, 6.8 x 6.8 x 20 cm https://amzn.eu/d/f9m1UxB

For a high gloss lacquer finish I use this, after the above sealer or chestnut cellulose sealer,

Hycote Clear Lacquer 400ml https://amzn.eu/d/3QFO0t5

Both available at cheaper prices elsewhere, like The Range or ebay.
Amazon only good price if your buying a six or 10 pack.

If its on small turnings, like pens or bottle stoppers I just use a thin CA glue.

I'd second 'U-Pol Power Can Clearcoat', which is a high gloss car bodywork refinishing lacquer used in the motor trade. It's meant to be out in all weathers and is UV resistant. I and many other woodturners I know have used it for years. Really durable and dries quickly. The cans are 500mL and usually if you buy two or more, you can get them post free. EG:

2x 500ml U-Pol Power Can Professional Spary Clear LACQUER Aerosol CLEARCOAT | eBay

On wood-turned items I'm not at all keen on too high a gloss finish, (except on pens), so I usually apply one coat of sanding sealer and two coats of U-Pol sanded to 600G, and finished with buffed up paste-wax. EG, the first pic below of a small hollow form. However, the second pic (not mine!) is from someone who is keen on a 'toffee apple' finish, to illustrate what several coats produces.

Hope that's helpful.

Attachments

• Hollow form in Redwood.jpg
    Hollow form in Redwood.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Bowl acrylic gloss.jpeg
    Bowl acrylic gloss.jpeg
    532.5 KB · Views: 0
I would second Robgul above about the spray can handle. I also put the can in very hot water for a few minutes and give it a good shake. It both disperses the lacquer and pressurizes it - as close as you will get to a spray gun.
Chestnut melamine spray works for me although you have to be generous with it if you want a high gloss finish.

Back