Spots all along wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaSwimmer

Reaction score
Hi all, wondering if you can help. I've not seen this before but I've just received some Iroko planned wood panels and a lot of them have dark spots that run the length, they seem to follow the grain. I did a very light sand and they seem to go quite deep and they are visible both sides (they don't go all the way through but spots are on both sides) is this mold?

Spots on wood

Not sure from the photo but looks like contamination from metal particles. This is common if using steel wool on bare oak as the steel particles react with the tannin in the oak. I haven't seen it on Iroko but it may be a possibility. What does the supplier say?

Get some oxalic acid and see if it removes the staining.....
Mix it with warm / hot water, not cold..... once stain has gone, wipe over with clean water to get rid of it, its not nice to get the dust from oxalic when sanding

IMG20221202125355.jpg

Your photo makes it look like Idigbo rather than iroko to me, but they have similar characteristics, i.e still likely enough toxins in the lighter coloured idigbo to not be liked by anything fungal.

I have lots of damp iroko, it doesn't really get mold.
It does present mineral deposits which appear like chalky white residue leaching onto the surface somewhat.
It takes years of rusted nails on door components to get much of a tannic reaction,
and it goes black, but not just with a bit of swarf.

Wood stain can penetrate deeply, so I can assume the same with some motor/chainsaw oil of some sort, that would be my guess.
Not tried a chemical solution for that, but that would be what I'd look into,
there definitely is some mentions of acids and whatnot in the archives.

Good luck
Tom

Sorry to be critical but I tend to agree with Ttrees ....similar to Iroko but not it. Not well finished, the grain has picked up. Looks like old, dried timber with mold spots. How heavy is it? You could do a quick density check??

Latest posts

Back