Spiral router bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpooley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have just made myself a 'PantoRouter' which I am using at the moment to cut tenons.
The bit plunges onto the end of the timber and goes all round leaving the tenon.
The problem I am having especially in softwood is Chipout. It is really bad.

my question is would an spiral upcut bit be a better choice for this operation and where can I get one that doesn't cost £100.00 !!!
I looked in the trend catologue :shock:

thanks

Mike

Thanks I have had a look and yes they are quite a bit cheaper than trend but still for the 50mm long one about £69.00 :shock:

I spose I will have to bite the bullet but you can get a new router in B&Q for less than that lol :roll:

What about if you climb cut around the peice in the reverse direction first that should scribe the shoulders of the tenon then you wont get any tear out, or have I got the wrong end of the stick of what you are doing ?

chippy1970":1koigvvl said:
What about if you climb cut around the peice in the reverse direction first that should scribe the shoulders of the tenon then you wont get any tear out, or have I got the wrong end of the stick of what you are doing ?

No you are dead right but i am finding that quite hard to master on the pantorouter and one slip and the piece is mangled.
I havn't got the right spring for it . mine are too weak and I think it will be easier when/if i get some stronger ones.

mike

Spiral cutters work best at high feed rates 10m/s plus, they will dull fairly quickly at low speeds

cutting solutions":zq6x4sd3 said:
What size cutter are you looking for?
Overall length
cut length
diamater of cut
shank size
number of wings
Half inch shank
12.7mm Diameter
approx 50mm cutting depth
not sure about wings etc whatever will give me a nice clean cut

thanks
Mike

2 wing should be fine and give a good finish.

I would say here that spiral cutters were really designed for cnc machines where the workpiece is firmly fixed.
any movement could result in breakout.

I can price best quality cutters just over £50 plus VAT and post.

woodshavings":2xbbqlrq said:
I bought my spiral cutter from ebay - it was designed for milling metal , but works fine on wood. It cost about £10 inc postage.
John
Blimey !

I'll have a look
I never think of ebay ! :oops:

I was offered Diamond cutters from Poland recently at a very cheap price. I know some factories are purchasing as throw away from supplier.

As for Spirals I like them for my CNC in down cut/up cut and finishing up-down cut variants after using hogging head, I use them a lot on Wooden Bench part profiling and mortising that I do a lot off.

cutting solutions":3r15iipg said:
Are the milling cutters HSS or Tungsten?

HSS will last a fraction of the time
Some are solid carbide others are HSS. Some of the descriptions are a bit misleading and I ended up with an HSS bit, but at £10 it was no great problem. Also got a solid carbide 1/4" spiral for £8.

Back