Spinning Wheel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I bought some wheels made out of maple from a supplier. I want to “dig out” the inside to just leave an outer ring, to look like an old train wheel. Planning on doing this with a forstner bit. Now the question: what is the best way to hold said wheel still in my drill press while I drill away. I know it’s going to want to spin.
thanks

john

Hi guys
I bought some wheels made out of maple from a supplier. I want to “dig out” the inside to just leave an outer ring, to look like an old train wheel. Planning on doing this with a forstner bit. Now the question: what is the best way to hold said wheel still in my drill press while I drill away. I know it’s going to want to spin.
thanks

john

How big are they and how much rim are you leaving? I would probably make a donut chuck, similar to when turning and clamp that down, or use a bit of hot melt glue to stick the wheel to something that you can clamp.

How big are they and how much rim are you leaving? I would probably make a donut chuck, similar to when turning and clamp that down, or use a bit of hot melt glue to stick the wheel to something that you can clamp.
Thanks for your input. Large wheels are 1 3/4inches and small ones are 7/8 inch. Leaving 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch respectively.

My ideas may not work then. Maybe a tiny blob or two of superflue to a larger base or some masking tape carefully placed?

Thinking further, if it were me I would drill them on my lathe. How many have you got to do, it wouldn't take many minutes to set up and do them for you of you don't have a lathe (assuming I have a forstner bit that is the right size.)

A pair of v blocks in you vice chuck should do it. Cut a pair out of mdf for the amount of time youll need them.

My ideas may not work then. Maybe a tiny blob or two of superflue to a larger base or some masking tape carefully placed?

Thinking further, if it were me I would drill them on my lathe. How many have you got to do, it wouldn't take many minutes to set up and do them for you of you don't have a lathe (assuming I have a forstner bit that is the right size.)
Thanks for all your help. Marcros thanks for your offer but I live in Canada. I will do some experiments to see what works best.

Back