Spindle Moulder or Router tooling to create bead and T&G

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kebabman

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to repair some plank doors and panelling which is fairly similar to the drawing on this website.
http://www.jastimber.co.uk/reed-and-bea ... r-cladding.
My planks drop at a right angle before the bead not at the 45 degree angle shown above. I have a router and a spindle moulder but can't find any tooling for either to create the bead and the tongue and also the groove so would be very grateful for any help.
Cheers

And is there any tooling to make the bead please?
I was wondering if there was a spindle cutter that could produce the angle, the bead and one side of the tongue all in one go?

kebabman":371x9eqv said:
And is there any tooling to make the bead please?
I was wondering if there was a spindle cutter that could produce the angle, the bead and one side of the tongue all in one go?

The beaded T&G you are reproducing was from the days of hand moulding planes, I have two that I use from time to time, one for 1/2" thick and 1 for 3/4" thickness. Gives the authentic variation in finish.
The tongue and groove are separate "cuts" on you're Router, spindle etc.
I can recall that a friend of mine bought a cutter from Trend, that formed the mould.
Some branches of jewsons stock a 4"x 3/4" size listed as "Bead and butt. in softwood and random lengths.
Most of the stuff I have made was to match 6"x 3/4", but I am not aware of any stocks of 6" available.
HTH Regards Rodders

Many thanks Blackrodd, searching for bead and butt comes up with the right moulding. I was unsure of the terminology for this profile.
It looks like I should contact some spindle moulder tooling firms to see what they suggest.

Back