Spindle Moulder Height Setting Gauge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooreToolsPlease

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a tool i've modified for use with setting the spindle moulder.
I use the spindle moulder a lot at work, mainly for rebating.
One of the most laborous tasks is getting the heightand depth exactly right.
The height gauges I've seen else where are okay for the height, but they aren't long enough to get to the centre of the block to do the depth.
I decided to modify a digital caliper for this and here's what I came up with.
IMG_1430.JPG

IMG_1435.JPG

Here it is setting the height for a rebate:
IMG_1429.JPG

And finally the depth for a rebate
IMG_1438.JPG

It's virtually eliminated the need for multiple test pieces, now I just use one as I still need to set the tenoner heights typically

Anything that helps and makes a process easier for the user and is safe is a good thing. So well done. Im fortunate to have a digital read out on my spindle moulder.

The base is made from a couple of pieces of Ali angle, with the top part of the caliper sandwiched inbetween it, i've drilled clearance holes in both halves of the ali, and the top part. The bolts that secure it all up are threaded into the oak, I wanted this movement so I could make sure the caliper is plumb.
I had to remove the inside measuring part of the sliding piece so I could bet the jaws to close flush.
The top part is screwed into the back of the caliper, The back piece of ali is screwed into here, and then the other piece of oak and front piece of ali have been bonded together then shaped after.
The whole assembly was lapped on a machine bed to make it perfectly flat along its length.
Here are some more photos
IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1440.JPG

IMG_1439.JPG

That's good thinking. :)

I guess it's not really something that's come up before because there aren't too many home woodworkers can afford a spindle moulder and instead make do with a decent router table (much smaller cutters); for which, of course, the Trend depth gauge would be fine.

Back