Speed Awareness Course

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sometimes I do this if it is clear that they are not going to pass and just want to drive extremely close. It can be very distracting having someone very close behind. Either that or I'll drive slower to mitigate the potential danger of having to stop suddenly.
The safe thing to is as you say drop your speed slightly and drop back from the vehicle in front - remember if you get hit from behind and as a result you get shunted into the vehicle in front of you , the vehicle you’ve hit is your responsibility. Pulling over to let them pass is good if you can do this safely. The likelihood is another bumper hugger will replace the one you’ve let past and as a result you will take forever to complete your journey ..

The safe thing to is as you say drop your speed slightly and drop back from the vehicle in front - remember if you get hit from behind and as a result you get shunted into the vehicle in front of you , the vehicle you’ve hit is your responsibility. Pulling over to let them pass is good if you can do this safely. The likelihood is another bumper hugger will replace the one you’ve let past and as a result you will take forever to complete your journey ..

I'm pretty good at keeping my distance from the car in front. My car actually has a display to show how many seconds I am away from the car in front. Pretty hard though on the motorway when you leave a space and someone just pulls into the space. Not as bad as in france though where you leave an inch in front of you and someone squeezes in.

One of the best things to have to make you drive better is a dashcam. At the end of the day I know that if I mess up it will be on camera so it encourages me to drive as well as i can.

I seem to recall (somewhere but not sure where today) reading/hearing... that driving schools were no-longer teaching students of the need to signal before they pull out/in; similarly when turning left or right. Especially the latter turns when there is lane marking for that turn?

But that may have been more street mythology?

In Canada one can get a ticket for tail gating; even if spotted by a patrol cr going in the opposite direct; sed patrol man contacts his chums ahead of you...

And was once told that you can simply receive a ticket/fine by mail for tail gating - without being stopped and issued with sed ticket; as long as the patrol has solid evidence of your offence...

I'm pretty good at keeping my distance from the car in front. My car actually has a display to show how many seconds I am away from the car in front. Pretty hard though on the motorway when you leave a space and someone just pulls into the space. Not as bad as in france though where you leave an inch in front of you and someone squeezes in.

One of the best things to have to make you drive better is a dashcam. At the end of the day I know that if I mess up it will be on camera so it encourages me to drive as well as i can.
I’m not a fan of too much car tech but I have come to realise a dashcam could prove my case if I was unfortunately involved in a accident.👍

I’m not a fan of too much car tech but I have come to realise a dashcam could prove my case if I was unfortunately involved in a accident.👍
5 years ago my wife, driving on a rural main road was hit by a motorcyclist who drove out of a side road without looking. She was traumatised but not hurt while the motorcyclist suffered a broken foot, wrecked bike and did considerable damage to the passenger door on her car. Luckily for the him my wife managed to avoid much more serious injuries to him by taking avoiding action and swerving across the road as nothing was coming in the opposite direction. There was a witness on another unconnected motorbike travelling behind the rider who helped at the scene and the injured rider admitted he was entirely at fault and repeated that to the police and ambulance staff who arrived. The policewoman reported the accident as his fault

As it progressed through the insurance company it quickly became apparent that he had changed his mind, possibly due to family influence and blamed my wife for the accident but lucky for us the witness was a retired motorcycle instructor who provided us with an accurate statement and our insurance company managed, (eventually after threatening court action) to recover all costs including our excess otherwise it would have been knock for knock and affected our policy costs and no claims bonus.

I immediately bought 3 sets of front and rear dashcams for our cars and my daughters and I always transfer a front camera to our motorhome whenever we go away. Worth every penny for peace of mind as far as I'm concerned and they really should be standard equipment to all cars along with head up display imo.

Just for info the cameras I bought are Nextbase 522 and separate rear window cam and I hardwired them in which was pretty simple. An extra mount on the motorhome screen means the camera which has magnetic contacts takes seconds to fit. There are plenty of makes and models but even a cheap one if reliable is better than none.

5 years ago my wife, driving on a rural main road was hit by a motorcyclist who drove out of a side road without looking. She was traumatised but not hurt while the motorcyclist suffered a broken foot, wrecked bike and did considerable damage to the passenger door on her car. Luckily for the him my wife managed to avoid much more serious injuries to him by taking avoiding action and swerving across the road as nothing was coming in the opposite direction. There was a witness on another unconnected motorbike travelling behind the rider who helped at the scene and the injured rider admitted he was entirely at fault and repeated that to the police and ambulance staff who arrived. The policewoman reported the accident as his fault

As it progressed through the insurance company it quickly became apparent that he had changed his mind, possibly due to family influence and blamed my wife for the accident but lucky for us the witness was a retired motorcycle instructor who provided us with an accurate statement and our insurance company managed, (eventually after threatening court action) to recover all costs including our excess otherwise it would have been knock for knock and affected our policy costs and no claims bonus.

I immediately bought 3 sets of front and rear dashcams for our cars and my daughters and I always transfer a front camera to our motorhome whenever we go away. Worth every penny for peace of mind as far as I'm concerned and they really should be standard equipment to all cars along with head up display imo.

Just for info the cameras I bought are Nextbase 522 and separate rear window cam and I hardwired them in which was pretty simple. An extra mount on the motorhome screen means the camera which has magnetic contacts takes seconds to fit. There are plenty of makes and models but even a cheap one if reliable is better than none.
Some definitely good advice ,, I’ll be looking into this as the standard of driving these days is pitiful to say the least.

Latest posts

Back