• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

special plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

soulboy

Established Member
Reaction score
[imghttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150908577725?nma=true&si=ILCf0%2FH2VKb7JIb4iR1Qa4JB1Eg%3D&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2557&orig_cvip=true][/img]
can you believe this, its final selling price!? what do ordinary No4's cost?
chris :shock:

Mike.S

Established Member
Reaction score
LOL

If it had a rosewood handle and a couple of cracks in the (remaining) sole and it may have gone for £50+ :shock:

Special Plane

James C

Established Member
Reaction score
That post does make you wonder about which definition of "special" they are thinking of.

Argus

Established Member
Reaction score

There are a few of these things floating about on that site lately.

....looks like a collision with a concrete floor was the 'special' occurrence.

soulboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm gobsmacked, the seller was up-front about its origins but someone still paid over the odds for it :duno:
chris

Dangermouse

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I'd better get a few Anant no4's and a hammer :lol: (hammer)

Sheffield Tony

Ghost of the disenchanted
Reaction score
I have commented in the past about the number of Stanley 78's that have received a similar "special" treatment that appear on ebay. They often seem to fetch surprising prices, and are often from that particular seller. He has two more "special " planes on there now, a 78 and a no 4. Perhaps he is no fool, and there is a good untapped market for chisel planes. Perhaps he is a klutz and drops one or two '78s a month on the floor. Perhaps there are a lot of fools who don't realise what it is and think they have some rare plane. Or is there some bidding trick going on to push the prices up.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I prefer this one - where the lucky buyer not only got the "Interesting and collectable vintage tool," they got a "spare wooden knob" as well!

Mike.S

Established Member
Reaction score
AndyT":5rgsmuw7 said:
A more realistic price though. I suspect the seller would have got more if s/he'd just sold the handle and knob as spares.

tomatwark

Established Member
Reaction score
If you look at his feedback he is buying these up cheap putting a clever listing and selling them on.

Tom

Sheffield Tony

Ghost of the disenchanted
Reaction score
I have a nasty suspicion that, given how many of them are on offer, many of these start out as fully functional '78s. I've seen them go up to £45 on occasion. I'm glad I bought a complete '78 whilst there are some left intact.

Argus

Established Member
Reaction score

Yes, I think you're right. 78s, 078s and all the variations are very common on ebay.

Oddly enough, by sheer coincidence, the same seller has a full set - 'spare' depth stop fence and rod for sale too, for a fiver, I think.

.........must have binned the broken off nose-end otherwise it will be up for sale as a paper weight.....

:p :p :p :p