special plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulboy

Established Member
Reaction score
[imghttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150908577725?nma=true&si=ILCf0%2FH2VKb7JIb4iR1Qa4JB1Eg%3D&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2557&orig_cvip=true][/img]
can you believe this, its final selling price!? what do ordinary No4's cost?
chris :shock:

There are a few of these things floating about on that site lately.

....looks like a collision with a concrete floor was the 'special' occurrence.

I'm gobsmacked, the seller was up-front about its origins but someone still paid over the odds for it :duno:
chris

I have commented in the past about the number of Stanley 78's that have received a similar "special" treatment that appear on ebay. They often seem to fetch surprising prices, and are often from that particular seller. He has two more "special " planes on there now, a 78 and a no 4. Perhaps he is no fool, and there is a good untapped market for chisel planes. Perhaps he is a klutz and drops one or two '78s a month on the floor. Perhaps there are a lot of fools who don't realise what it is and think they have some rare plane. Or is there some bidding trick going on to push the prices up.

I prefer this one - where the lucky buyer not only got the "Interesting and collectable vintage tool," they got a "spare wooden knob" as well!

I have a nasty suspicion that, given how many of them are on offer, many of these start out as fully functional '78s. I've seen them go up to £45 on occasion. I'm glad I bought a complete '78 whilst there are some left intact.

Yes, I think you're right. 78s, 078s and all the variations are very common on ebay.

Oddly enough, by sheer coincidence, the same seller has a full set - 'spare' depth stop fence and rod for sale too, for a fiver, I think.

.........must have binned the broken off nose-end otherwise it will be up for sale as a paper weight.....

:p :p :p :p

Latest posts

Back