special Imperial to meter convertation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snikolaev28

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I think this is right place to ask some help. Now I'm reading an article about Shaker box making. There I found an expression 'board j'' thick...".
Could somebody or 'common brain' explaine me how many millimeters is thickness of board j'' thick?

I can convert other dimensions, such 7/32 or 1/4 to millimeters, also I have some nice rulers in Imperial system, but I've not found any things of j'' thick on rulers and can't find explanation from Google.

Probably I've tryed to find in the wrong places, or probably j'' thick is 'secret units'?

Thank you,

Serge.

I think that maybe you are reading an electronic text derived from a printed one, where the OCR software has misinterpreted the print. At a guess it probably should have read 1" - which is one inch.

snikolaev28":ux8psbbw said:
.."Top and Bottom boards" in the second phrase I see "These are ј" to 7/32" thick and not bent."
These are 1/4" to 7/32" thick and not bent.

These are 6.35mm to 5.5563mm thick and not bent.
quarter.jpg

The text was using a symbol for 1/4 inch that your software was not recognising.

Attachments

• quarter.jpg
    quarter.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 824
So it's nothing to do with the square root of -1 then? :-k

Thank you very much for help!
Of course my software can't recognize them because this is Russian version of MS Word.
Just corriged j" to 1/4, so time to sleep.

Again thank you for replies.

Regards,
Serge.

If your computer doesn't recognise 1/4" symbol, then it probably struggles with 1/2" and 3/4" symbols as well.

So from this paragraph (3rd paragraph under the heading "Cutting Band Stock")..

The band saw needs a steady rest as a guide for thickness. A sharp blade is important here as well. I use a ¼" 4 tooth per inch Timber Wolf. Others prefer ½" or ¾" carbide tipped blade for their band saw.

That should read
I use a 1/4" 4 tooth...
Others prefer 1/2" or 3/4" carbide...
HTH

Cheers, Vann.

snikolaev28":1b77o990 said:
I read this text http://www.shakerovalbox.com/articles/building/
"Building Shaker Oval Boxes"

And in the part named
"Top and Bottom boards" in the second phrase I see "These are ј" to 7/32" thick and not bent."

That page does not declare its character encoding correctly It declares (actually defaults to) UTF-8, but is actually in Iso-Latin1 (or winlatin1).

if you set your software to be either of the latter, you should see everything in all its correct glory.

BugBear

Back