Sparks assistance required please, exterior light.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening/morning, depending :D

I've got a pir wall light to install by the front door, are there any regs I need to comply with for placement of the isolating switch inside the house?
The feed is a spur from an rcd protected circuit which is located in a cupboard about 3 meters away. I'd like to run the t&e from that in conduit or trunking under the floor up the wall and then out through the wall into the back of the light. The conduit/trunking going up the wall on the inside is covered by a timber casement that trims the front door, thus nothing is seen and cable is protected from damage at the same time.
Light is a 42w gls thing so no great loading.

Can I have the isolator in the cupboard or must it be adjacent to the position of the light?

Cheers.

:D

You need any new work checked by a part P registered electrician.

Pete

I can only find a couple of points for this in the On site guide:

537.2.2.6 Each device used for isolation must be clearly identified by position or durable marking to indicate the installation or circuit it isolates.

&

537.2.2.5 If it is installed remotely from the equipment to be isolated the device must be capable of being secured in the OPEN position.

I would say a fused spur with the fuse removed complies with the second reg.

Racers":5jdf7pl1 said:

Pete

Nope, if it's an outside light that doesn't require a new circuit, he doesn't have to get a Part P inspection.

An internal fused spur with a swtich would be fine as isolated.

I couldn't find much specific when I was looking around about the position of the isolator, i will go with what I planned and make sure the switched spur is clearly labeled in the electric cupboard.

Thank you gentlemen for your help, is appreciated.

:)

No worries. Google is your friend a lot of the time for confirming what needs notifying. There were changes made to relax what needs to be notified which has been a big help.

LancsRick":1gw7ebp8 said:
Racers":1gw7ebp8 said:

Pete

Nope, if it's an outside light that doesn't require a new circuit, he doesn't have to get a Part P inspection.

An internal fused spur with a swtich would be fine as isolated.

If he is adding a fused spur, ie; extending the existing ring main, then it needs to be either installed by a Part P registered electrician OR by a competent person and then notified for sign-off by the Council inspector.

LancsRick":qsymcfg1 said:
I don't want to come across as argumentative, but that is categorically not notifiable - q5 on the IET website is linked below.

http://electrical.theiet.org/building-r ... p/faqs.cfm

Building controldon't need it either
https://www.buildingcontrolpartnershiph ... intro.aspx

You're right though, they've not always been that sensible :). At least now it's only if you actually put in a garden installation or kitchen or bathroom for some of these minor things.

Not sure if your reply was aimed at my post but if it was I think you misunderstood my point. The fact is that ANY works that involve modifying an existing circuit, for instance adding a spur, have to be fitted by either a Part P installer or a competent person and signed off as I said previously. HTH.

MMUK":11q98blx said:
LancsRick":11q98blx said:
I don't want to come across as argumentative, but that is categorically not notifiable - q5 on the IET website is linked below.

http://electrical.theiet.org/building-r ... p/faqs.cfm

Building controldon't need it either
https://www.buildingcontrolpartnershiph ... intro.aspx

You're right though, they've not always been that sensible :). At least now it's only if you actually put in a garden installation or kitchen or bathroom for some of these minor things.

Not sure if your reply was aimed at my post but if it was I think you misunderstood my point. The fact is that ANY works that involve modifying an existing circuit, for instance adding a spur, have to be fitted by either a Part P installer or a competent person and signed off as I said previously. HTH.

From the link posted above:

What types of electrical work are 'non-notifiable'?

The following types of work are non-notifiable:

Replacing accessories such as socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses
Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact (1)
Re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components (2)
Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations (3)
Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding (4)
Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation (5) and consists of:
- adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit (6)
- adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit (6)

I struggle with double-negatives sometimes, so perhaps I'm reading that incorrectly.

No skills":2poeqha8 said:
Without reading anything I would guess the spur is not part p but the light install is :D :D

What about if the light was installed inside?

Then the wall moved appropriately.

While the question is simple the answer is not and this answer is based on my understanding of various bits of regulations which can be contradictary. Under Part P (2014) outside lights are not notifiable in England but are in Wales (the older version still applies), Scotland is different and I have no idea of their requirements. However if the wiring does not leave the building it is debatable whether it is an outside light installation under Part P old version anyway.

Running the cable by the door without a switch means it is not in a "permitted zone" which are within 150mm of an internal corner and horizontally and vertically from an accessory. So having a switch defines the permitted zone for the cable vertically and horizontally from it. Plastic conduit provides no additional protection, you would need to use steel conduit and earth it to get protection.

Putting a switch near the door would also allow you to use the intelligence in many PIRs to turn the light on permanently by switching off/on a couple of times in quick succession. You could use the fused spur in the cupboard and a switch by the door which would achieve both purposes.

There are very few prosecutions under Part P, you have to try very very hard or kill someone. Insurance companies are showing an increased interest in wiring causing fires and proof that changes have been done by competent persons.

Kevin

Back