Spare motor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boothie14

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have spare motor,single phase 3/4 hp-1 hp that they are willing to part with?I have plans to build a belt sander and cant find a cheap motor anywhere.

Interesting that the guy advertising that claims the motor is NOT suitable for a lathe. Wonder if he really knows? Bob???
(But if he's wrong, and telling the world the motor isn't much good, it could be a bargain)

It has just got very weak starting torque. Dead capacitor I suspect.
If the start winding was open, it would not start at all but sit there and buzz instead.

I only suggested as it was local to the OP and highly likely to be cheap to fix.

Bob

9fingers":2uvzd3k3 said:
It has just got very weak starting torque. Dead capacitor I suspect.
If the start winding was open, it would not start at all but sit there and buzz instead.

I only suggested as it was local to the OP and highly likely to be cheap to fix.
Heck, Bob, that was quick!
I wasn't sure whether the motor would start at all if the cap was dead.
Like you say, sounds pretty good if it doesn't go a lot higher.

There are two common capacitor failure modes.

1. dielectric failure where the two plate effectively become connected, dissipate lots of power as heat and then explode with varying degrees of drama.

2. drying out/leakage of the dielectric which causes the capacitance to decrease.

The latter leads to low starting torque. The former is more fun and tells everyone nearby that there is a problem. Sadly - in a way - the latter is far more common with modern capacitors. Some of them even have internal fuses. Just no fun at all!!

Bob

I was dealing with a 'dead' Marconi 'scope one day, I was informed that there was spot and turned it on to start testing, by this time of course the cabinet was off. The workshop radio was on and I thought I heard a 'ticking' noise. As I looked from around the front what turned out to be a high voltage 64 micro farad eletrolytic let go!
The damn thing when off like a rocket! The case hit the ceiling and I got a faceful of hot electrolyte as well as being deafened!

Roy.

Latest posts

Back