Spaniel Shadow Portrait

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
The first project cut on my new saw is this commissioned shadow portrait of a spaniel. Credit must go to the American pattern designer Kevin Daly for giving me his original pattern (and saying he wouldn't mind me adapting it - which I did :) ).

It's cut out of a maple board which is roughly 10 mm thick and finished by dipping in Chestnut finishing oil three times. The customer didn't ask for a backer board. Remarkably, I only used the one FD SR #3 blade throughout the whole project!

SpanielComp1.jpg

Gill

Very nice indeed Gill - as always!

Now the cricket seaon has finished I plan to cut the GSD pattern you gave me ages ago. :roll: I'll post a picture when it is done.

Regards

Gary

Lovely work Gill - I noticed your new avatar yesterday and came looking for your latest thread but couldn't find it. How long did this one take you to do?

Fecn":a0pnefxt said:
Lovely work Gill - I noticed your new avatar yesterday and came looking for your latest thread but couldn't find it. ...

Me too on the both the work and looking.

Is this a new marketing strategy or are you just teasing us :lol:

I'm a tease :lol: !

As I said in the off-topic thread about avatars, I usually change my avatar just before a project that I regard as significant is completed. It's usually when the cutting's done but before the finish is applied. Since the avatars are so small, I can adjust them to give "an artist's impression" ;) of what the final outcome will be. One of these days I'll get caught out with a project that goes hugely wrong in the finishing, but so far I've been lucky.

Actually, this isn't a particularly significant project for me (I've cut more complicated shadow portraits before) but I thought I'd post it anyway by way of thanking Kevin for his generosity. He helped me out when I was up against a deadline and didn't have time to make a pattern of my own from scratch. As it happens, I'm seeing the customer tonight when I attend a lecture on stained glass. It should be interesting, especially for a scroller who enjoys segmentation.

Thanks for the kind comments, folks.

Gill

Edit - Sorry, I forgot to mention that it must have taken about a day to cut (on and off). But that doesn't count the timber preparation which took much longer than usual because a template following router bit wasn't sufficiently tightened in its collet when I was shaping the board. Thank goodness I had all the guards in place on my router table! Much hand sanding was necessary :( .

Latest posts

Back