Spalted Maple in the UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristol_Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying 2 pieces of spalted maple for draw fronts and a cabinet door.

Circa 450mm wide x 600mm high

Thickness probably about 25mm rough

I'm thinking of a nice solid slab so that I can cut the draw fronts and keep the grain flowing 😉

Does anyone know of a UK seller of this or a similar alternative 🤔

i bought these for a set of coffee tables, from Yandles…
30AA6DF9-55BA-47C6-8EEA-4AE467CACE09.jpeg

I can measure it tomorrow :) but from memory about £70 / £80 for the two - was one long plank they cut for me as I was in a very inappropriate car!

I can measure it tomorrow :) but from memory about £70 / £80 for the two - was one long plank they cut for me as I was in a very inappropriate car!
Have you ever been to Tyler Hardwoods near Swindon, that recommendation looks good - time for a road trip me thinks 🤔 😉

I can see the need for a Bristol excursion!
would probably take the rr for maximum load carrying opportunities… (can put 5m pieces on the roof!)

Have you ever been to Tyler Hardwoods near Swindon, that recommendation looks good - time for a road trip me thinks 🤔 😉
Give them a ring before turning up at random, they have been doing an appointment system since Covid. It's nearer Hungerford really.

Ollie

@Bristol_Rob
I have measured - they are waney edged, so not identical, so rough measurements:
800mm long
50mm thick
310 - 400mm wide
cost for both pieces was £73
I was there on a day when they had discounts on wood - so I paid a bit less

You might find spalted sycamore or beech is easier and cheaper to buy here, given they grow natively and wont have additional import costs. I got a few nice 2m slabs of spalted sycamore from Scottish Hardwoods a few months back.

You might find spalted sycamore or beech is easier and cheaper to buy here, given they grow natively and wont have additional import costs. I got a few nice 2m slabs of spalted sycamore from Scottish Hardwoods a few months back.
Intriguing, going look at that as I'm not precious about the species, I'm just trying to get a certain look 😉

Back