Spalted birch egg

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnu

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a spalted birch egg I made. It is about 3 inches long and is a good test for the spindle and skew.
spaltedbirchegg260510.jpg

Full marks for achieving the smooth curves and surface finish on that spalted wood.

Rather nice that, I suspect that it would be deceptively hard to do seeing as the shape is so tightly defined, not like a bowl that you can make any way you like. I think I'd have to start with a 6" blank to get a 3" egg like that. Niced piece of wood too.

Good egg!

Looks like you haven't mastered the skew yet, where are the characteristic spiral score marks I presume it's meant to make? :oops:

Many thanks for your coments. It is difficult to decide what is the perfect egg shape as there are many diffrent shapes of egg. The egg is a design cassic and you see it in architecture, enigineering, the automotive industry, clothing and so on. I have always enjoyed turing eggs as it brings out the beauty of wood, they are nice tactile objects and a few in a bowl makes an attractive display.

Very nice, looking at doing the same this weekend. I hope it turns out half as good.

Back