Spalted Beech bowl for critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Spalted Beech bowl, 8" x 4", nearly gone too far, soaked up a few coats of sanding sealer and finished with linseed oil.
051.JPG
053.JPG

Regards Chris.

Attachments

• 053.JPG
    053.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 772
  • 051.JPG
    051.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 772
with wood as nice as that its hard to focus on the shape, their isn't a side view so its hard to see the real shape but from the pictures supplied it looks great
congrats on finishing a piece that badly spalted, i find it difficult to get a nice cut without it tearing out.

Mike,
The sanding sealer helps to make it a bit stronger, still needs a very fine finising cut.
Another pic just for you!
056.JPG

Regards Chris.

Attachments

• 056.JPG
    056.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 762
Only negative thing I can think of is that the foot that seems to be there is wrong. May be the photo but it would look a lot better with a rounded bottom and no foot. If it is there to make the thing stand upright a small curved indentation would have the same effect without spoiling the overall shape. I love the chunky look of it and that you seem to have followed the inside shape to match the outside. The spalting demands a simple no frill shape which is what you have achieved. Nice one IMHO

Pete

Pete,
The foot is going to be removed, it is just the spigot used to hold it, Mike wanted a side profile to see the shape, I was trying to hide it with the first two shots :oops:
Thanks for your comments.
Chris.

fantastic bowl - love the simple shape and the complex wood. Total respect for turning something that far gone, I always have issues with tear out and then sanding (creating an uneven removal of material).
Very well done :)
Miles

Thanks Miles,
It needed a good soaking in sanding sealer to firm it up and some very sharp final cuts.
Regards Chris.

I like that and as said it will look even better without the spigot.. Nice shape and finish!

I love spalted beech and before we mved over I had a good supply from my neighbours wood pile when she wasn't looking :twisted: :twisted: I used to swop bit for bit, so we stayed good friends! 8) I still have a couple of bits left and I think they will make nice pot-pouri..

Really gorgeous bowl, the solid simple shape really allows the spalting to speak for itself, I like the foot on the bottom as it lifts it off the surface and allows the bowl to be viewed at the bottom too and it lets the light round all of it. Not explaining myself very well here. When I look at bowls without a foot there always seems to be shadow. Entirely individual perspectives but I like it just the way it is. Lovely stuff. :eek:ccasion5:

Thanks john,
I tend to make a batch at a time and leave the spigots on in case they need re turning or any further finishing, I'll take some better pics once its done.
Regards Chris.

Back