Sowing the First Seeds of 2023

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am steadily sowing as the weather warms, have some poppies, echinaceas, rudbeckia etc coming through now

Tomatoes from last week aren’t up yet but has been cooler here in cardiff
F2570A62-16C1-43A6-B4E6-341635DDF909.jpeg

28FB2B92-8655-4ADD-BCC5-C695443AD379.jpeg

Razmatazz chillies and Cayennes (and money plants that just happened to be there). When I had a greenhouse I liked to have the tomatoes in the ground by the end of February. I doubt they came in more than a few days earlier, but it made for much stronger plants.

Attachments

• IMG0006A.jpg
    IMG0006A.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG0005A.jpg
    IMG0005A.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 0
Planted 4 Casablanca potato seeds on St Patricks Day -- Earlies; in long planter
Today put some Sarpo Mira seed potatoes 2 per 30 litre plastic pot
_DSC0004.JPG

All of my cucumber plants have damped off, I have treated the soil with Cinnamon and will try again, all the Tomato plants doing well as are the Courgette's, too many Petunias and Begonias, the Fuchsias look strong, will post pics of the hanging basket progress and the new vegetable frame where I have just planted six Asparagus crowns, two years before I can cut and eat any.

Realised that Begonias and Fuchsias are immune to slug attack, the Petunias are another matter, late night sorties with a torch, the only sure way without using chemicals. More Cucumber plants planted out into the Greenhouse boarder, need to keep a close eye on them this time, but much bigger this time to hopefully provide a stronger immune system. Also four Melon Plants that seem to be growing very fast. Courgette plant is enormous will post a pic tomorrow. Oh and the Asparagus spears are now about 600mm high, seem to like where they are.

Only because this is the first year and you are not supposed to cut them, but let the ferns develop, second year cut sparingly and then third year cut to eat at about 150mm high.

Courgette plant, seems much bigger this year.

DSC02426.jpeg

Anyone having problems getting Carrots to germinate, I have planted four rows over the last month or so and nothing is showing, no sign of anything digging the seeds up and in four different beds so don't think its pest related.

Seems strange this year, three different varieties of Carrot in different pots in different areas of the garden and none have germinated?

I believe its the cold temperatures we have had this spring that are affecting germination. I've especially noticed, that night-time temperatures are particularly cool. I now tend to start veg seed in pots or containers indoors so I can keep an eye on germination - only then do I plant out. I didn't have to do this when I had an allotment in south east London, but conditions here are a lot harsher.

Of course. some seed has to be directly sown in the beds. And even though I have left things a little late this year, germination has been pretty poor. Some seeds , like parsnip, are not the best of performers, and I often have to reseed these two, or even three, times.

Latest posts

Back