Sourcing Timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andycase

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Have just started with woodwork. I use ebay a lot for getting reclaimed pine etc. But i want to move onto Oak for a bit.
Does anyone know anywhere in the North West (i live in Morecambe) that i can get oak? I am new to this, and a lot of prices on the internet are for m3 or cubic feet. All i want to be able to do is get a price per mtr of, say, 4x1 or 6x2, a couple of lengths per project.
I just dont know where i should be going and what to expect

I use Freecycle quite a bit - Preston, Lancaster and Blackpool. Theres not much that comes up on these, unless i miss them.
Will have a look at Gumtree, ive never used it before.
I dont mind buying from a proper supplier, and i thought there would be loads up here in the Lakes and surrounding areas, but when i google it, very little comes back. Those that do, their prices are astronomical. I know oak is going to be much more than what i am used to, but when i compare the price of oak from somewhere like Rustic Touch in Chorley (granted its all freshly sawn), then these ones up here are way out in price.

Try Hoghton Timber, at Walton le Dale. Oak prices fair and I've always got nice, clean stuff from them. Very helpful too.

John

British Hardwoods online in Yorkshire have some really nice oak. Not too local but they do deliver. I was bought a hobby pack of oak which contained some really decent sized offcuts.

Don't know if they are still working, but the Clapham Estate sawmill used to do some useable native timber. If nothing else, it's a nice run out there through the Lune valley :)

Again it's probably history, but there was also a very helpful sawmill on the A6 just south of Forton.

Back