Sourcing specifically sized softwood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewRedStars

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I thought this would be easy, but it's proving not to be...

I'm helping renovate a space for some friends and I want to make some bespoke door linings, as nothing off the peg works with the dimensions. And we're using reclaimed doors etc so it's all a bit chaotic.

The wall width is generally around 96 to 98 mm.

So I thought I'd just buy some 100 x 20 mm (ish) PAR softwood and make my own linings. BUT! I can't seem to find anything close though! The 100 mm stuff the normal timber merchants stock is actually around 94 mm. And the next size up is too big.

Any advice? Anywhere that will machine up custom sizes? If I still had a workshop I could do it 5 minutes! Grrrrr.

20mm is not really thick enough for a door lining as it will be less stable and need more fixing positions.
You should perhaps use the pre finished lining "sets" sold by most merchants, usually in polythene sleeves and including thin door stops, which are good for stirring up paint, replace these with standard 38x12mm stop
These linings are ready housed for 2'6", or 2'9" doors, just assemble and screw together.
They are supplied for 75mm stud, plus plasterboard and skim, and 100mm stud plus plasterboard and skim.
These are good in the main, but sometimes are a bit wanting for straightness, etc.
You need to check them first, before purchase, then cut for you're particular width and plane the edge to finish wall size.
Regards Rodders

Latest posts

Back