Sourcing blade for wooden planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Stig

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a plane iron for a No.7 wooden plane, I've had a look on eBay and there are various irons, some seem to be for standard cast iron planes whilst some of the more vintage irons appear to be incomplete.

I have some steel kicking around but don't think it'd meet the grade if I ground an angle on it... any ideas?

One here in Hinckley you can have if you promise to take the body with it :wink:

Give me a call... (check pm for number)

Andy

I highly recommend Clifton plane irons for the extra thickness and excellent edge-retention qualities. But, having also use a Quangsheng block plane blade in a wooden plane I made myself last year, I'd say they are a good option if you're on a budget or, if your plane cannot take an extra thick blade (and, you do not want to modify it).

G&M tools in Ashington, West Sussex have got a pretty comprehensive stock of old blades. Sadly not very many cap irons if you want one, but they're not as complicated as those fitted to metal planes, and I would imagine you can be fairly flexible with the grade of steel used as well.

http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/cat_leaf.php?id=4182

DSCN10221.JPG

Cheapest option is to buy another old wooden plane on ebay or car boot. They go for less than the price of the blades alone but you are taking a gamble on the blade condition. They are usually OK though. I've found almost new blades in 99p planes.

Cheapest option is to have the one off me for nowt that's still in the plane.....
Give me a bell, I don't bite, honest :lol:
Will be passing to go to Fleckney soon so make it sooner than later :wink:

Andy

Back