Sources of solid birch ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yetty

Established Member
Reaction score
Any ideas where can I buy some planks of birch?

(So far, I've been using ash to trim the exposed sides on birch ply shelves. However I'm sure it would be better to be using birch instead.)

Any ideas welcomed, especially if available by post!

The last time I bought Birch I got it from Timbmets in oxford but it was rather a long time past. would Tulip wood be a closer match than Ash.

Thanks for suggestions, birch doesn't seem to be on the Timbet stock list now. I've also used Tulipwood previously with similar success to ash, thought I think my ocd is getting the better of me and I'm now pushing for a better colour-species match.

I've just emailed a couple of enquries to Real Wood Studios (Jedburgh) and Duffield Timber (Rippon), so fingers crossed they keep stock and post...

Birch you may find varies hugely in colour from board to board. It can be pink, butter white, honey brown and every colour in between.

You may find that maple is very very close to BB plywood in colour and grain effect, much more so than Ash or poplar

David

I built a maple shelving unit for a job once. I put a birch ply back on it. Once it was finished it was virtually indistinguishable from the maple.

Thanks chaps. Buying birch unseen could be risky with regards to colour.

I think I'll stick with careful selection of ash/tulipwood/maple for the trims, all of which I have readily to hand. I'll try to 'park' the idea of using birch trims for a while...

Thanks again.

Back