Source for thin plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodgerbaz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Does anyone have a good source for thin ply?

I used to get mine from a guy on eBay but he's stopped selling it now :cry:

I bought some from Hobbies of Dereham and the quality was appalling. It looked as though someone had flicked paint over it and the last 1 1/2" could not be used because of the bad tear-out. It looked as though it had been cut with a 20-tooth saw blade !!

The size I usually buy is '1.5mm Birch Ply 600mm x 300mm’.

Any help would be swell

Barry

Daven":22j2favv said:
Try Slec :wink:

Best
Dave

I wonder what their "Lite" ply is? I have some 4 or 5mm with 3 plys. The 2 outer plys look decent quality and relatively thick, but the middle one looks as though it might be MDF. Just wondering if it's the same stuff.

Where abouts are you Barry? I have to get about 20 sheets of 1.5mm birch ply in for a job in the next few weeks I'm sure I could spare a bit for you if you cqan wait.

Chrispy":1lkz7gg2 said:
Where abouts are you Barry? I have to get about 20 sheets of 1.5mm birch ply in for a job in the next few weeks I'm sure I could spare a bit for you if you cqan wait.

Whoah . . . . what a brilliant suggestion. Many thanks. I'm in West Wiltshire so not far from Oxford. I can certainly wait. PM me when you're ready and I could arrange to relieve you of some offcuts and buy some off-cuts.

That's very kind of you.

Barry

@Martinka:

Re your Liteply query above. As a long-time aeromodeller I know Liteply well. As you suggest, it normally consists of 3 ply (laminations) only, with the outer 2 aces usually a white-ish, quite good quality wood (quite hard, no knots - maybe birch?) but the inner (middle) ply is never MDF as far as I know (it would be too heavy). That inner ply is VERY soft and usually VERY white, but as the name suggests, very light. Not being much of a woody I'm not sure of the species but GUESS it may be called "Pappel" here (Switzerland) which apparently translates as poplar (so says my dictionary).

Anyway, the whole point of Liteply is that, as the name suggests, it's very light (important in all aeroplanes) but due to the 2 outer laminations usually being well glued, it's also pretty stiff, especially laterally.

Because of the "pithy" apperance of the centre lamination I doubt it would be much use for scroll sawyers as although that lamination will cut well I imagine you'd have trouble sanding it and finishing it. In typical model aero structural use the edges would be covered or otherwise invisible (e.g. a vertical former inside a fuselage).

HTH

Krgds

AES

P.S. What's that lathe that I can just see in the back of your pic of your blade storage (just being nosey - looks like a Myford?)?

Barry - I got down to Wiltshire from B'ham and via Oxford at least 2-3 times a month, I'm more than happy to pick up for you and drop them off.

I'm usually down that way for a couple of days, so can drop them off during the day or evening...

I would happily pay up for them and then you pay me... Let me know

AES":3khbzh56 said:
@Martinka:

Re your Liteply query above. As a long-time aeromodeller I know Liteply well. As you suggest, it normally consists of 3 ply (laminations) only, with the outer 2 aces usually a white-ish, quite good quality wood (quite hard, no knots - maybe birch?) but the inner (middle) ply is never MDF as far as I know (it would be too heavy). That inner ply is VERY soft and usually VERY white, but as the name suggests, very light. Not being much of a woody I'm not sure of the species but GUESS it may be called "Pappel" here (Switzerland) which apparently translates as poplar (so says my dictionary).

Anyway, the whole point of Liteply is that, as the name suggests, it's very light (important in all aeroplanes) but due to the 2 outer laminations usually being well glued, it's also pretty stiff, especially laterally.

Because of the "pithy" apperance of the centre lamination I doubt it would be much use for scroll sawyers as although that lamination will cut well I imagine you'd have trouble sanding it and finishing it. In typical model aero structural use the edges would be covered or otherwise invisible (e.g. a vertical former inside a fuselage).

HTH

Krgds

AES

P.S. What's that lathe that I can just see in the back of your pic of your blade storage (just being nosey - looks like a Myford?)?

Thanks for the info. Yes, the lathe is a Myford ML7, 1974 vintage.

OK Martinka, if you ever want to get rid of it (the ML7) please let me know! (It would be worth a trip to UK just to pick it up)!! As you probably know, Myford themselves have gone bust unfortunately. Some of their bits have been taken over by someone else - I think - RDG Tools?? - but genuine Myfords in working nick are now taking what are, IMO, "silly" prices.

Anyway, am pleased to help a little re the Liteply. I've had a let of help from UKW one way and another.

AES

Peter Sefton":q5och5cg said:
You could try Avon Ply in Bristol, they also have cutting and CNC facilities
http://www.avonplywood.co.uk/stocks.aspx

Peter

Thanks for the link Peter. I visited this firm a few years ago to buy a couple of full sheets of ply (10mm I think) and the stuff they tried to palm me off with was as warped as warped can be. When I refused to accept them they eventually let me go and choose my own but the whole lot was stored incorrectly so I'm not surprised it was warped. I didn't care for their attitude either.

But thank you for the recommendation . . . . much appreciated :wink:

Barry

toesy":2btq29hy said:
Barry - I got down to Wiltshire from B'ham and via Oxford at least 2-3 times a month, I'm more than happy to pick up for you and drop them off.

I'm usually down that way for a couple of days, so can drop them off during the day or evening...

I would happily pay up for them and then you pay me... Let me know

Whoa, that's extraordinarily kind of you toesy.

I've reread the thread and assume you mean if Chrispy (in Oxford) has some off cuts or spare I can buy from him? If so that is a very generous offer and one that I would be very happy to sign up to. Well, we woodworkers are a nice bunch of peeps =D>

Barry

Hi,
You could try Robbins timber in Bristol they do a good range of Ply . I get the Birch Ply I use for Pyrography from them

John

Has anyone used Slecfor their birch plywood. I am looking to get some for the first time, won't want loads, just different thickness and they have a good selection.

Also Johnluv is it okay to use ply for pyrography, I had been advised against it due to the fumes the glue can give off.

Latest posts

Back