Source for Green Oak in Essex

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadiy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an outdoor project in mind that I would like to make from green oak 3" x 3", with a minimum length of about 6ft.

Calling around timber yards in Essex and I find very few, so far one supplier had 4" which should be cut down but they were £45 for 6ft, the other was cheaper but they would slice a tree up on demand, and I'd prefer my green oak to be a little older than that.

Searching the web I see places in Corby that are selling green oak 75mm square 2.4m long for < £10 so I'm at a loss why Essex is so expensive.

So if anyone can recommend a sensible oak supplier in Essex (south east Essex even better) please let me know.

thanks

Already did. Gards don't sell it and alloak only had big sections for beams.

I was at Gards on Wednesday and they had green oak on a trolley near the 'offcuts' section - can't say if there was any 3" x 3" though.

That was Eoburton. The other expensive place was beaver brooks.

Not exactly right on your doorstep but if you are willing to drive to Welwyn, just up the A1 you could try Ternex. Big old woodyard with sawmill. Can't help you with prices, you'd need to give them a bell but they stock green and dried oak of various sizes.

http://www.ternex.co.uk/

Cheers
Chris

They seem to be the ticket, very friendly and helpful on the phone, they are £10 for the Oak or £8 for Chestnut. The only downside is that it might take them more than a week to cut it. But that's OK. Have gone for some Chestnut for a change so will see how that works out.

thanks

Andrewf":1qhe8kml said:
There is a tree surgeon called M H Dunn, his yard is near Braxted Wall. Between Tiptree and Feering. He does sawn green oak and is easy to deal with.

http://www.mhdunn.co.uk

Sweet Chestnut is well worth considering,

-it's every bit as tannin packed and durable as Oak, but cheaper
-there's no medullary rays so you don't get such a jarring contrast between quarter sawn and flat sawn faces
-Chestnut has a much thinner sap layer than Oak, so you're less likely to be wasting time trimming away the sapwood

custard":dncpp3bw said:
Sweet Chestnut is well worth considering,

-it's every bit as tannin packed and durable as Oak, but cheaper
-there's no medullary rays so you don't get such a jarring contrast between quarter sawn and flat sawn faces
-Chestnut has a much thinner sap layer than Oak, so you're less likely to be wasting time trimming away the sapwood

Looking forward to working with it. Any thoughts on a good finish for outdoor projects, I was going to use some linseed oil for the Oak, I guess this could be the same?

Latest posts

Back