Source for a 2 1/4" blade - any thoughts?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalimna

Established Member
Reaction score
Deanston, a stones throw from the Distillery
Greetings folks,
Having recently acquired an older Stanley 5 1/2 (thanks Wem), I set about installing a replacement iron/chipbreaker. However, I had quite forgotten that older 5 1/2 planes had a 2 1/4" blade, not the current 2 3/8", so this didnt work..... And doing a quick trawl of the usual places (WH, CHT) for a replacement throws up only the modern 2 3/8" wide blade.
Can anyone suggest if it is possible to obtain a 'modern' thicker blade/chipbreaker in 2 1/4" width?
Note, i am not at all interested in whether it is 'necessary' to do a replacement or whether I 'need' to, merely whether it is possible, and if so, through whom.

Many thanks,
Adam

If unable to source a 2 1/4 blade and chip breaker have you considered a 2 3/8 and grinding a 16th of each side. I would thoroughly recommend the Quangsheng brand from WH. I put and blade and back iron in a 5 1/2 and found it excellent

the easiest way to make the blade narrower in my opinion would be with a large disc sander with a big bucket of water to hand. Use something to enhance the grind lines i.e. engineers blue or possibly tippex to prevent grinding too far.

A bit drastic I know but if done with care it will form an excellent blade

Be aware though you may need to replace the yoke/Y lever as the original may not be long enough to engage the back iron slot owing to the increased thickness of the new blade (other modifications are available)

Have you looked at ray Iles website. I have the catalogue sat on my desk at work but I think it is all online

Hi,
Actually, thats not an idea I had considered. However, my metalworking skills extend roughly to sharpening edges, and making them blunt again! I am not sure I would trust myself to grind away accurately on a replacement set. Even if there is a bucket of water handy to cool when I manage to overheat the blade.
However, I have used the WH Quangsheng blades (I have both a QS No7 plane and a replacement set in a 4 1/2 Stanley), and would happily use them again.

Cheers,
Adam

Not sure. He does spares though so may have an old one if not a new.

for exactly the same problem I rang Ray Isles and he sorted me out. Sold me a Record 93 and one of his infill prototypes at the same time, he is a surprisingly good salesman as well as being really helpful

Ron Hock make them in both high carbon and A2 steel, and they make cap-irins in that size too.

I though Lie-Nielsen did too, but can find "Stanley" type irons on their website tonight #-o

Cheers, Vann.

I googled "Ron Hock" and went to his website. They're listed there. I don't know if any UK retailers stock them.

Hock irons, while having a good name, look ugly to me. I don't have any. If Ray Iles does one in O1, you should probably consider them first. Personally I'd think twice before buying in D2 steel.

Cheers, Vann.

Hi Vann,
Thanks for the advice. Ive had a quick nosey at Hocks' website (I must have missed them first time I looked), and I couldnt find any UK sellers (CHT I suppose might be able to supply one, but it isnt listed on their website). However, I did find them on Dieter Schmid Fine Tools, so with their German efficiency I should have one winging its way over as this is typed.
As to the aesthetics, I actually quite like them, and already have a blade/chipbreaker in a Stanley 7 (not sure how old it is, but before plastic) from Hock.
And for the D2? I understand that it is remarkably tough, but something of an unpleasantness to sharpen...

Cheers,
Adam

Back