source for 17/64-inch lip/spur

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al3ph

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, been making pens this week, the copper inserts are supposed to be 7mm, but using a 7mm drill bit the tubes are quite sloppy, measuring the tubes shows them to be actually 6.7mm, I'm suspecting these are american sizing so I really should be using a 17/64 inch bit.

Does anyone know were to find such a thing, I've searched high and low and I can't find any, is this an import job? Or am I messing up some how ?

cheers!

Hi al?
UK drills will have the size you want and at very reasonable prices too. Wont be a lip and spur but thats not really necessary. The important bit is as you suspect the correct size, too small and you chance splitting the finished blank and too loose is obviously not good.
I must admit all the 7mm pen kits Ive made have been done with a 7mm bit though thats not saying that they all are.
If you use CA then the fit needs to be a little tighter than if you use epoxy or PU glue, so having a choice of glues can help with the fudge factor.
HTH
nev

Yeah, I've tried epoxy and CA, sometimes it works, sometimes not, there is just to much slop, I'm drilling on the lathe so it's likely that is enlarging the holes slightly as well.

Certainly the tubes are 6.6mm or some such, so even if I get exactly 7mm holes, there will be a fair bit of play.

I'll post some pictures of my first pens later :)

Thanks for the help.

nev":vxfruddd said:
Hi al?
UK drills will have the size you want and at very reasonable prices too. Wont be a lip and spur but thats not really necessary. The important bit is as you suspect the correct size, too small and you chance splitting the finished blank and too loose is obviously not good.
I must admit all the 7mm pen kits Ive made have been done with a 7mm bit though thats not saying that they all are.
If you use CA then the fit needs to be a little tighter than if you use epoxy or PU glue, so having a choice of glues can help with the fudge factor.
HTH
nev

LoL, I have that size laying around all over the place. You've peeked my curiosity, I'll go try it and see how the fit is.

Edit: Ok, back from the shop. The 17/64th bit does allow you to put the 7mm pen tube in, however; it is a really snug fit. So snug I would think the only glue to use would be of the thin type CA. I went and gave the other half a drilling with the next size up that I have, 9/32nd. This created more slop than the 7mm.

DAMNIT! Why can't they just make the tubes to match an actual drill size that exists :(

Draygore":8x748g0e said:
LoL, I have that size laying around all over the place. You've peeked my curiosity, I'll go try it and see how the fit is.

Edit: Ok, back from the shop. The 17/64th bit does allow you to put the 7mm pen tube in, however; it is a really snug fit. So snug I would think the only glue to use would be of the thin type CA. I went and gave the other half a drilling with the next size up that I have, 9/32nd. This created more slop than the 7mm.

Back