sound reducing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speed

Established Member
Reaction score
hi

the story so far…

i have a 22x11ft shed (workshop) :lol: that i built last year, the wall construction is from the inside out is> 12mm chipboard> 4x2 studs crammed with fiberglass insulation then a breaterble felt, on the felt i have abttened out with roof laths and fixed my cladding onto that.

the roof is 5" fiberglass inbetween and then foil insulation tacked under the joists, the doors have 60mm kingspan in them and draft seals round the frame.

this is as far is i went with the sound proofing). but the next door is a nurse and has to work nights. i would like to upgrade sound proofing more as i dont want to upset her, i am spending a few hours a day in there in the summer.

is there anything else that will be effective with out spending millions?
i was thinking maybe plasterboard the ceiling, if it would help get some of the workshop matting for the floor, a thick curtain over the door?

any help would be great

Plasterboard. Double plaster board better. Insulation has little effect on sound transmission - you need mass.
If you plasterboard the ceiling you can increase the mass by backfilling with a layer of dry sand on top of the board - perhaps use glass fibre filled 1/2" board as it's stronger (Gyproc Fireline etc).
Standing machines on mats can help.
Worth doing a sound check from the outside - you will find that the big high frequency noise in the workshop coming from routers etc doesn't travel so well but the low noises do, so the problem might not be as bad as you think.

Why not pop round and ask her if there is a problem with noise from your workshop,could well be she has not and you are about to spend your cash for no reason.

thanks for the replies

the neighbours are very quite, and keep them selfs to them selfs, they dont talk to anyone on the street, if i ask her if i am noisy she will be listening more for the noise :)

i dont have any big machines, most noise it from the track saw/mitersaw router and sander, and vac, i constantly have ear defenders on and it is loud to me, its not as bad out side but still the noise travels, i can hear someone a few doors down cutting there grass and think thats loud if i can hear them they will hear me

i think i will plasterboard the ceiling then every thing will be boarded, what about adding plasterboard over the chipboard walls? for the few £ a board costs has got to make it better..?

the better i make it the longer i can spend in there on a evening :)

i could even cover the walls in 600x600x 12mm foam gym flooring tiles if it will absorb sound better than plasterboard

i got a app for my phone a db meter

the radio on my usual volume a few feet away inside the 'shop is 60db

using the track saw with the phone 2 feet away was 90db

last test was the compressor, in the 'shop it was 95db out side with the door shut and 10ft away it was around 60-65 db

the compressor at 60db was loud enough to get annoying if it was going for a hour

Hi Speed,
I'm in a similar position. I've got a shed type workshop and am very conscious of annoying the neighbours although as you say lawn mowers are just as noisy, not to mention the barking dogs and children screaming. I've lined it with 50mm acoustic insulation and 12mm plywood. It has some effect but still seems loud. I only have the noisy stuff on between 9 and 5 Monday to Friday when most people are out at work.
John

Hi Speed
There is loads of information out on the web about sound reduction and I have read a lot of it. Can't say I am an expert about it though as it is a very complex subject.
Based on my reading I feel a few really important things are:
1/ no air gaps, sound will find its way out through a tiny gap.
2/ try to decouple wall and ceiling surfaces using resilient channel or Green Glue.
3/ adding mass to the surfaces slows the sound waves emitting from the workshop.
4/ try to find ways to reduce the sound eminating from the noise making machines at source.
This website has some really good ideas from a guy who is doing this stuff in his own workshop.
http://www.artofwoodshopdesign.com/cate ... p-comfort/
Good luck
Howie

Back