Sound proofing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*xen*

Reaction score
Hi,

As much as I would love to build a new workshop ala Carlsberg and/or Byron, I am lucky enough to be able to convert my double garage into such a space instead.

The only problem is sound proofing - I don't want to upset my neighbour or Mrs *xen* overly. Can anyone recommend the best way of sound-proofing a 20' x 20' brick built space. I am considering lining the whole area with plasterboard with say a 6-8" gap filled with some kind of noise dampening material. For the door area (up and over garage door) perhaps some heavy curtaining.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

*xen*

Hi Xen welcome to the forum.

What about something like this. I would be very reluctant to lose a large chunk of floor space for thick insultaion. This stuff also has the advantage of being able to take fixings, so you could put up cupboards etc. without having to look for a stud.

Hi Xen
Welcome to the forum!!
I have insulated two double garages in the last few years (whilst converting them into workshop!)
My current 'shop is a single skin brick double garage. I have built a stud wall along the inside of the walls insulating them with rockwool slabs. The ceiling was insulated in a similar way. Then plasterboard everything.
A double glazed window and door made a huge difference and I have finally boarded over the garage door on the inside to complete the conversion (the wife wouldn't let me brick up the door :roll: )
It has made a huge difference to noise pollution and is a warm and cosy place to work! Well worth the time and money invested.
There are some pictures here.....

http://www.philsville.co.uk/new_page_1.htm
http://www.philsville.co.uk/move2.htm

Hope this helps
Philly :D

Hmmm, hadn't considered blocking the door off! Now, how can I convince Mrs *xen* she just doesn't need the access!!

Food for thought.

Cheers Philly :D

Hi *xen*

Welcome to the forum

I have used similar methods to Philly, but I have also boarded the floor.

I used 2 x 3 cls from B & Q, a damp-proof sheet from Wickes and then plywood on top. It is so comfortable to stand on for long periods and is friendly to dropped tools.

Cheers
Neil

Now that I've sold the car which lived in the garage, I'm starting to think about taking over in there too. Since I only just fitted a garage door opener, I don't want to disable the door itself.

I've been wondering about covering the inside of the door with a layer of Airtec Double Insulation which is supposed to be equivalent to 55mm of polystyrene.
p1791752_l.jpg

It sure is expensive... but I reckon it should be light enough to keep the garage door in operation... Wouldn't be much use for sound proofing though.

Fecn":qbs3es2n said:
I've been wondering about covering the inside of the door with a layer of Airtec Double Insulation which is supposed to be equivalent to 55mm of polystyrene.

Do a google search on 'multifoil insulation' first. The claims made for these things are very contentious and they depend on having a 20mm airgap both sides of it. There's only one product which has building regs approval (a BBA certificate) and that makes much more modest claims about its performance.

Jake":2qnmlnau said:
Do a google search on 'multifoil insulation' first. The claims made for these things are very contentious and they depend on having a 20mm airgap both sides of it.

Thanks for that Jake.. Very interesting reading... I'll guess I'll ditch that plan.

Back