Sorry folks.. shameless Youtube channel plug ..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott, there is always the oldest selling aid in the world mate, Cleavage!!

Get some breast implants, do a 'how to use a scrub plane ' video wearing only a mankini and I think you could be in a very different place, very quickly.

Just do it! 8) 8)

100% agree with Steve, " No guard, no riving knife, leaning over the blade while it is still running.This is the worst of bad practices and you should not be publicising this way of working. Others may copy you. It is only a matter of time before they, or you, get seriously hurt. "

I think it is totally irresponsible to put this up.

=D> =D> Haha, it has crossed my mind. It has however been snowing today, so maybe I'll wait till spring.

I've just joined Instagram, and it amazes me how many girls there are just showing clips of them in spandex at the gym. I mean I must've counted over 8000 over the course of the day! ;P

pollys13":56pfbwkh said:
100% agree with Steve, " No guard, no riving knife, leaning over the blade while it is still running.This is the worst of bad practices and you should not be publicising this way of working. Others may copy you. It is only a matter of time before they, or you, get seriously hurt. "

I think it is totally irresponsible to put this up.

Did you read all of my comments? Post #1263486 to be precise.. :)

The elephant in the room... Regardless of what we think of Scott's videos he is not reaching the masses... under 40 subscribers and no video with more than 100 or so views. I don't think there's any money to be made out of this yet. Also, Scott, if a rhino hide is needed to do this, then some of your responses suggest you may not be best suited to this. I know I couldn't do it.

Yeah it was all covered in post #1263486 mate, it's just a tad irritating when people repeat the same thing without reading it all.

You have to start somewhere with subscribers, and I think you'll find one of my videos has 30,000 views although it is 5 years old ;)

Scottdimelow":6eb51cek said:
Yeah it was all covered in post #1263486 mate, it's just a tad irritating when people repeat the same thing without reading it all.

So, have you removed the vids of stupidly dangerous practice from the net?

It's not stupidly dangerous really, not if you know what you're doing. As I said, I'll be changing my splitter for a riving knife but the original videos can stay up, albeit with a word of warning in the description.

Scottdimelow":qtvigngt said:
It's not stupidly dangerous really, not if you know what you're doing. As I said, I'll be changing my splitter for a riving knife but the original videos can stay up, albeit with a word of warning in the description.

Erm....... I think that may potentially be in contention right now hence posts #1365753, #1365812 and #1365899, etc......

Scottdimelow":2yl0p9hu said:
You have to start somewhere with subscribers, and I think you'll find one of my videos has 30,000 views although it is 5 years old ;)

Yes, I noticed that (and that funnily 2 of the 5 comments you got were about you lack of safety features on your saw so I guess you have made it another 4 years with all your fingers!). Even with all the storm of comments that table saw video has got here, it's still only 120 views or so on Youtube and that one dust commander video has way more views than the total of the rest of your videos.

I guess people are a lot keener on the dust commander thing that a 10 part homemade table saw. I can see myself building the former but never the latter. Maybe if you focused more on things that people wanted to build you would get more views. The lack of guards makes me feel like it's a bodger's approach rather than a professional. I want to learn the right way to do things. A bit like taking a driving lesson from someone who doesn't wear a seatbelt - makes you think they don't know what they are doing.

If you do go down the bikini route, you might want to have a shave first! :D

Yep. Peter makes a lot of sense here. I am building a kitchen in one of my buildings currently and I needed a table saw as I was too lazy to keep walking the 200 metres to my workshop. I bought one with cast iron table, fences and sliding table for about £200 on an offer publicised a lot on here. Delivered and ready to run. Honestly, a budget one is so cheap no one is going to make this stuff.

My time is worth more to me than the peanuts I save from making readily available tools. This may be true of almost all of your target market.

Finally some one talking sense, reading this post i thought why the heck would you want to.
I brought my table saw over 30 years ago and it cost me £100 secondhand, its not got a big name
badge but has all the required safety features.
Its used nearly every day as i'm a full time furniture maker/ joiner.

Scottdimelow":339w9kvf said:

Frankly, there is no hope for you with this sort of attitude. It is the height of irresponsibility to show dangerous practises in videos whose sole purpose (from the viewers point of view) is teaching/ learning. What you show is stupidly dangerous, and with all of this advice from people who know an awful lot better than you you are being irresponsible and negligent to leave the content on public view.

That guy who used to do hand-stands on the edge of the top of tall buildings and post the video on Youtube, well he fell off one eventually. That's sad for him, but what's far sadder is all those people who watched his antics who fell off stuff trying to copy him. It's your choice what you do with your own fingers in the vicinity of a spinning blade, but you are responsible for every finger of every person who watches your videos and tries the same thing. You shouldn't just be morally responsible, you should be sued into bankruptcy by anyone who is hurt after watching your stuff.

Peterm1000":3d3v4te0 said:
I want to learn the right way to do things.

Then you'll need to avoid 99% of the "guru's" on YouTube .
Ask the members here. Read and understand the books they advise.
Possibly enrol in a course.

Steve Maskery":2nji98lv said:
n0legs":2nji98lv said:
Peterm1000":2nji98lv said:
I want to learn the right way to do things.

Ask the members here. Read and understand the books they advise.
Possibly enrol in a course.

LOL! Hilarious! (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

I think you can be feeling smug here... I am the proud owner of the full Workshop Essentials DVDs (thanks Mum!) and just finished version one of my first Suva style guard inspired by your videos only last weekend (complete with Heath Robinson setup to avoid having to support it on the fence like you do). My saw also sports a kick board to turn it on and off. I am planning the measuring stick you make in one of the DVDs next!

I did go on a John Lloyd wood machining course, but actually didn't find that very useful (£300 for 90 minutes actually stood at a machine and 12 hours of watching someone else stand at a machine).

The main thing that has been missed is to get out and just make stuff!

Peterm1000":1pbjd746 said:
I am planning the measuring stick you make in one of the DVDs next!

Ooh, good! I assume you mean my track-setting jig. You won't be disappointed, I can assure you. I have one customer in South Africa who makes them and gives them as presents to his friends (whether they have a tracksaw or not, I think).
Since making that video I have made another one for cutting pieces that are narrower than the track itself. Same principle. PM me an email address and I'll send you the details (if I can find them - a photo may have to suffice, it will be enough for you).

BTW, the sticky rulers are not as easy to source as they once were. Axi do sell them, but they are not always in stock. I used to sell them, but they were slow sales, not really worth the candle. These days I buy them as needed. I have to wait a few weeks, but this is one such link.

Make it up, Peter, and tell the world. Easy, cheap and accurate. What's not to like?

Yes - that's the one. And like the best of these things, it's so obvious once you have seen the idea. I can't believe how many sheets of MDF I have cut up without one of those and instead struggling with a tape measure. The worst thing is that I had that little segment unwatched on the DVD for about 18 months of home renovation - exactly when I needed the idea the most!

In an attempt to keep things vaguely on topic, that's the stuff that people want to see on Youtube - evidenced by the many views for the dust cyclone and very low numbers of views for the MDF table saw that take many, many hours to build and costs as much as a commercial table saw.

(PM being sent - thank you!)

Latest posts

Back