Sorby Tool Rest System

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Chris, one 6" rest and stems to fit each lathe, it's usable but I do prefer the knife edge rest principally 'cos it's better for close work on miniatures. Very useful for demonstrating on 'strange' lathes... providing you have the correct stem :wink:

I also have the 'get inside the box' platform which I've never used for that purpose... the idea was to modify it by cutting it down or attaching an 'L' bracket to give a knife edge for minis... the platform is useful if you use Sorby's sharpening discs on the lathe and don't want to cough up the extra for their sharpening system platform :roll:

Yes, I have the S-shaped toolrest. Use it sometimes when hollowing and when I turn a bowl, which is seldom. I am content with it, but my experience in this field is limited .

Like Graham, I like to have my toolrest close to the work.

Hans

Yes Chris,
I have some of the components and it's OK but the fact that the toolrest is some way off the work can be a bit disconcerting.
Really, it's a compromise from buying a number of different tool rests - and like most compromises - it's not ideal !!
Jack

Well, that sounds good to me then......I don't do miniatures (sorry Graham) but I do do a lot of bowls and I'm fed up with constantly changing the 'angle of attack' of a straight tool rest to get round/ into a bowl. The other nice bit, which Graham alludes to is that the rests, with different tool posts will fit several lathes - making it versatile and economical.

As an American Woodturner pointed out on a video I saw recently - '....you wouldn't turn a spindle with a curved tool rest - would you ?

Chris, the other thing I considered doing was to modify my collection of toolrests by drilling and tapping them to fit the toolpost thread... one of those tuit jobs :lol: maybe next year :roll:

Back