• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Sorby chisels website??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

A

Anonymous

Hi all

Anyone know of a website (UK) that sells new Sorby chisels? I am feeling that I just have to buy some and throw the Record Marples rubbish away.

Thanks for any links

Tony

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Tony,

Are you sure...? So many lovely chisels out there to choose from, and you want to upgrade to one's that have the edge-holding ability of cheese? :?

Oh well, you're the boss. I know http://www.toolpost.co.uk has them, but their carriage charges have been a problem with buying from them in the past, fwiw.

Cheers, Alf

A

Anonymous

Hi Alf

I know that Sorby's seem to have a poor reputation on this forum but I don't really know of any high quality modern chisels - I don't want to get old ones.

I don't want cheese :( I want Englsih style chisels with the edge holding of my Japanese chisels. My Marples are so very rubbish !!! I would really like flat backs from the box too if possible :?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

How about 2 cherries? I have seen them for sale in Germany at a site I used to purchase my watersone and Japanese saws. What do you think of them?

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Tony,
What have you got against old ones? (My best chisels - albeit cabinetmakers' chisels , rather than turners'- are 110 years old!)

SimonA

Established Member
Reaction score
You could try the Ashley Iles chisels.....I nearly have a full set and they are the business......sharp and flat right out of the box! They hold their edge quite a while too........can't go wrong for the price.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...roduct_Code=IL-100-10.XX&Category_Code=TXQ1-2

This like is just to give you some info on them.....you'd have to contact Ashley Iles direct to order some. Prices range from around £8 to £20.

Ray Iles has a very good set of chisels too.....but then again he should as its his brother who makes them!! ;-) These a little more expensive because they come with octagonal handles which more traditional.

A

Anonymous

waterhead37":pggkhkxm said:
Tony,
What have you got against old ones? (My best chisels - albeit cabinetmakers' chisels , rather than turners'- are 110 years old!)
I have nothing particularly against old tools and to be honest don't know why I want new ones :? I don't understand it either, I just know that I don't want old chisels!!!

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Tony,

I do sort of understand why you mightn't want old ones; it can be a little hit and miss if you don't know what to look for. For new, like Simon says (Anyone for a game, btw? :wink: ) the Ashley Iles are getting rave reviews. Purely a matter of taste as to which handles you go for. Personally I shall continue to stick it out for the L-Ns :wink: The fact that they'll probably arrive on sale after I'm dead is neither here nor there... :?

Cheers, Alf

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
I have three Sorby chisels - I'm impressed with them and find they do hold their edge although I am comparing them to cheapie Stanley chisels

A

Anonymous

I got a set of two cherries from Axminster in the end as they got a good review a while back, have rockwell 61 hardness which is not too shabby.

Also they are currently on offer :D

Quite chuffed with them so far, just needed a hone as they arrived polished and flat

Hopefully I'll post a review one fine day

Tony