Son of Name that Machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stairman":2hzv6od3 said:
#1 edge bander (what ever one of those are)
Crikey! Were they really that advanced in Halifax in the 1930s? (the machine is from a 1935 catalogue) - hold on a moment, chipboard was only invented in 1943......... So, nope, no banana! :wink:

Ian Dalziel":2hzv6od3 said:
was no1 a surface planer/moulder for doing skirtings
Ooooh! Another near miss!

Scrit

no 1 seems to be a dominion "something or another" judging by the amount of cast , and looks to weigh at least 4 tons
id say a tapered gate post planning machine
it looks like a combination machine of some sort

it looks like youve got us this time scrit :oops:

mel and john":2p5dqr89 said:
no 1 seems to be a dominion "something or another" judging by the amount of cast , and looks to weigh at least 4 tons
id say a tapered gate post planning machine
it looks like a combination machine of some sort

it looks like youve got us this time scrit :oops:
Actually Mel, it's a Sagar (Halifax) machine. I'll add this end view as an extra clue:

EndView.jpg

Still waiting for William Tell, though - remember it's only a part view!

Scrit

That looks like the Legacy :D
Is it for making dentel mouldings ?

chrispuzzle":2xg0cxd8 said:
Number 2 is clearly the quick-release blade clamp from a Hobbies "Gargantua" steam fretsaw...
Goodness! Definitely getting somewhere with that one.

Still no banana, though!

Scrit

So number one is some sort of auto feeding edge moulder that can either run the same profile on two pieces at once or more likely two different profiles. two men would operate it. One at each end. It would be similar to two jointers with auto feeding capability.

Or else it makes fig newtons. :D

OK, how about 2 as a tensioning device for a log saw? It looks like the leaf spring is holding something in tension stage left.

Machine 1 makes running boards...

machine 2 . is possibly a belt/blade tension device
rough guess . for a band saw or re-saw

machine 3 . would possibly be an early spindle moulder
used for putting the rebate onto the edges of floor boards for railway carriages

Dave R":2lam7uk5 said:
So number one is some sort of auto feeding edge moulder that can either run the same profile on two pieces at once or more likely two different profiles. two men would operate it. One at each end. It would be similar to two jointers with auto feeding capability.

Or else it makes fig newtons. :D
Definitely not fig newtons! But pretty much what it does, Dave, congratulations! =D> Two-up as well! It's actually a Sagar UK9 Continuous Feed Automatic Jointing Machine:

Composite.jpg

which was designed to cut the sorts of joints used in worktops, t&g flooring, etc. The materials needed to be planed and thicknessed before going through this machine. Nowadays it would simply be put through a 4-sided moulder, but this machine was a sort of intermediate step and was taken up by railway wagon and carraige works and motor body manufacturers in particular. As a kid I can remember helping (hindering?) my dad when he was replacing the wooden planked floor in his pre-war Hillman 10, so I can confirm that planked floors were real enough, as were ash frames to the bodies ......

That just leaves no. 2, ladies and gentlemen

Scrit

Machine (part) 2 seems to be some sort of tensioner, with a steel leaf spring and a leather 'string' holding tension on a bearing housing, plus a facility to lock the tension off. I guess it could be almost anything from a strange tensioning device for a bandsaw to a trunion wheel tensioner for use in a belt drive system.

Dennis

Dennis

You're right, it's a tensioner, but for blades. Older scroll saws used a leaf spring to keep the blade under tension, aftyer WWII they went onto coil springs (which are still used on some designs such as the Meddings). Here is the machine in all its's glory:

Page1.jpg

Above: Pre-WWII
Below: Post WWII

Page2.jpg

This is one of a number of machine types which made the change from lef springs to coil springs, so I have to wonder if the process of making and tempering coil springs got cheaper during WWII or not

Scrit

Back