Son of Name that Machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrit

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, another Sunday and having been told that I'm a sad cast-iron anorak (in which case does that means I'm a Gormley statue???) I can't resist it - so here it is, it's Name that Machine time :roll: . Three machines to identify this week, and I want you to identify the correct function of each machine:

Machine 1

5a1.jpg

Machine 2

5b1.jpg

Machine 3

5c1.jpg

Don't let the fact that machine 3 illustration is a block print, this machine was available until the 1930s and was manufactured in England and widely sold in the USA as well

Enjoy!

Scrit

All three are involved in making ravioli.

machine 1 rolls out the pastry

machine 2 checks the pastry for elasticity

machine 3 puts those little crimps in the pastry pockets.

Seriously, machine1 looks like some sort of planer..with a power feed in the middle..so maybe planing two pieces of wood at the same time. Looks like you can adjust the fences inwards/outwards

machine 2 - no idea

machine 3 - ditto

Dave

That's right =D> No. 3 is an Armstrong dovetailer (see below), exhibited at the Paris Exposition of 1867 by Mr. S. T. Armstrong of New York. This machine was actually manufactured by Thomas Robinson & Sons of Rochdale, Lancashire, England (established as woodworking machinery manufacturers in 1847) and exported all over the world (American examples were also built in Rochdale). This design was still being listed as late as 1930 by Robinsons. Records show that the dovetailer was a great success with some 2,000 of them having been sold into the American market by 1868. The design saws and hogs the dovetail shape with specially shaped dovetail cutters although the spacing is necesarrily quite wide

ArmstrongDovetailer.jpg

One of these was actually offered on eBay this summer!

Roger

Sorry Roger, they're nothing to do with ravioli - they're all British, y'know. No.1 is sort of in the area, but it does have a very specific use. I believe they were mainly used in railway carraige and motor body works.

No one fancy taking another pop at William Tell's machine (no. 2)?

Scrit

Scrit":22lxyhah said:
I'm a sad cast-iron anorak

I don't know who's sadder...........you for having nothing better to do with your Sundays, or us for hanging on tenterhooks for next weeks quiz :wink:

No idea what the answers are BTW, but can't wait to find out. Fascinating stuff - keep it up.

Mark

waterhead37":3dt0cy77 said:
William Tell is for pre-tensioning cart springs before riveting/clamping the bundle?
Errrr..... no

JFC":3dt0cy77 said:
I think no 2 is just a riveter
It's actually part of a woodworking machine, so no banana

Scrit

Dave R":2ub66a9y said:
Early powered brad nailer? You put a brad in the left end, pull back firmly on the lever in the middle and let go. Bang! The brad is driven. :D
William Tell brad nailer? Hmmmm....... Well I know that British commandos in WWII were issued with a spring-powered grenade launcher (the dreadful PIAT or Projector, Infantry, Anti Tank) but never heard of a spring powered brad nailer. Have we anyone here from Khzakstan, perhaps?

Oh, so , no banana :(

Scrit

Scrit - Absolutely no doubt in my mind about No2 - this is a modern (Victorian) interpretation of a Roman crossbow wot used to shoot big arrows. Adam Hart-Davies built one recently on the box and it looks just like the one in your pic - Rob

woodbloke":39aprko3 said:
Absolutely no doubt in my mind about No2 - this is a modern (Victorian) interpretation of a Roman crossbow wot used to shoot big arrows. Adam Hart-Davies built one recently on the box and it looks just like the one in your pic
Only one problem, Rob, that is actually part of a woodworking machine. I kid you not! :lol:

Scrit

liked Chris's idea....is it a forming jig for rocking chair runners :shock:

is no 1 for machinining railway sleepers

glad i got have a go this week

I

Ian Dalziel":f7u9x7iv said:
liked Chris's idea....is it a forming jig for rocking chair runners :shock:
Nope! Although I see where you are coming from.

Ian Dalziel":f7u9x7iv said:
Is no 1 for machinining railway sleepers
Nope! It's a tad smaller than that, although it is a big bit of kit.

Scrit

Back