Some questions about first workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unfotunately we're renting, so it's not time for me to have a proper woodworking bench yet. I'm jealous!
stubtoe":3sp1py6t said:
3. What's the best way of attaching the MDF/hardboard worktop to the base?
however, I do have a crappy old workbench in my garage which I've attempted to convert into something better. one of the best improvements was to cover the thing in hardboard. this stops shavings, dust, screws, nails etc. from falling through the gaps. my point is that I fixed the hardboard to the bench with smallish screws so I can easily remove it when we move house.

if we do (wishful thinking!) ever buy this place, I'll be ripping the entire thing out and building/buying a proper one.

condeesteso":324uhem0 said:
Whatever you do, make the front frame (2 legs and lower stretcher) flush with front of top. As a bench is a work-holding device (a worktop too of course), setting legs back deletes it's ability to clamp larger pieces and assemblies easily, firmly and flat - for working edges.

Unless, of course, you want to clamp things down FLAT on the benchtop (e.g. carving bas-reliefs, working electric guitar bodies) in which case a table-style bench is the automatic choice.

It's not a right/wrong thing.

BugBear

bugbear":3qyxpjpy said:
condeesteso":3qyxpjpy said:
Whatever you do, make the front frame (2 legs and lower stretcher) flush with front of top. As a bench is a work-holding device (a worktop too of course), setting legs back deletes it's ability to clamp larger pieces and assemblies easily, firmly and flat - for working edges.

Unless, of course, you want to clamp things down FLAT on the benchtop (e.g. carving bas-reliefs, working electric guitar bodies) in which case a table-style bench is the automatic choice.

BugBear
Presumably as C indicated the lower stretcher...there ain't a top one n'est pas?.. in which case you can cramp to the top quite easily. If the top is thick enough a top stretcher isn't needed in any case (although I have one at the rear on my bench) - Rob

woodbloke":2cer14yb said:
bugbear":2cer14yb said:
condeesteso":2cer14yb said:

BugBear
Presumably as C indicated the lower stretcher...there ain't a top one n'est pas?.. in which case you can cramp to the top quite easily. If the top is thick enough a top stretcher isn't needed in any case (although I have one at the rear on my bench) - Rob

Fair point; I might take issue with flush font legs too, but they're not as evil as a flush font stretcher (or even, gasp, "apron").

Bugbear

BB - I did allow for clamping to the top, by no upper stretcher, or if necessary one set back. I think both top and front frame should be clamping surfaces hence flush. I cannot conceive any possible value in setting the legs back, but when flush the front frame is one big versatile clamping surface and with the addition of well-placed dog holes, the basis of the ideal bench whether power tools or hand-tools. I do of course credit others for this insight, I'm just certain they are all correct :wink:

Depth of front upper rail or apron against the thickness of the top only for clamping? How about a few holes in the apron/rail to allow positioning of one end of a clamp. The total clamping distance beneath the bench surface then becomes the thickness of the top.

xy

Compromise with the bench dogs.

Buy a Workmate 'Dog' (Or look at one you may have), and make your own from wood, with a longer shaft.) They won't slip through, they will hold well with the flat face; especially if you make them with different thicknesses for the 'crown'. Round dog holes are much easier to cut, and also easy to add later as you need more. Also, you can use holdfasts with the round dog-holes.

John

bugbear":3hwbhjb8 said:
woodbloke":3hwbhjb8 said:
bugbear":3hwbhjb8 said:

Fair point; I might take issue with flush font legs too, but they're not as evil as a flush font stretcher (or even, gasp, "apron").

Bugbear

Hi BB,

I see what you mean now! However, I can't understand why I struggled for so long with an overhanging top. I am looking forward to finishing my flush bench, which in effect shouldl be as stable as a solid block.

John

stubtoe":2y85h4wn said:
Have taken onboard all your comments and suggestions. Thanks.

Ill try and take pics of my bench build so you can all have a chuckle at my newbie mistakes!
:wink:
I've just posted a thread in 'Workshop Tours' : my-workshop-one-year-after-moving-in-t53592.html

I've got the worst 'workbench' in the world. I'm sure whatever you do will be better than mine!!! :p

I'm ashamed to say that I've cheated on the my original workbench project as I've managed to pick this up for a bargain:

d4b78044-705c-96b4.jpg

d4b78044-706c-c5e1.jpg

d4b78044-7087-7308.jpg

Cost me about the same as I would have spent building my softwood bench, so pretty chuffed as now got a rock solid bench and no excuses!

Needs a bit of cleaning up and sanding as loads of glue stains.

What would be a good finish to apply, if any, once the surface is cleaned up?

Cheers,

Jonny

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

An old cabinetmaker in the village was describing the bench they had at their company and I thought I would have a go at raising bench dog designs....

YOUTUBE VIDEO

I did one and used it quite a bit...but I still have to finish the rest! :oops:

Bit of a laugh really but I enjoyed the magic.... 8)

Jim

brilliant im now thinking about solenoids!

how cool would that be to have dogs pop up all over the bench at the press of a button

adidat

Back