some past work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
told you that i had actually made some things for public consumption in the past. these two are quite old, but in someones house, so i guess on public display.

we have a tv cabinet made of beech veneered mdf with two pocket doors and a turntable. it is quite old, designed in the days when big tellies were really big, as were video recorders.

now i would make it about even lower than the 900mm it is, and make the turntable section smaller, but at the time i had to get the timber cut to size at the woodyard, so had less control. joints are all biscuits, no ventilation problems due to the big hole in the back. client wanted the lowest unit for a then large goodman tv about 28 inch.

second item is a drinks cabinet. much more suited to this place.
client had originally bought a vintage rustic bar from spain. got fed up but wanted to keep the spirit. so i cut it in half, and rebuilt it around a lower draw of reclaimed floor panels, and a top out of beech mdf, with half round beading pinned on. the back is made out of shiplapped reclaimed pine.
and the door is more fun. as you can see it is frame and panel, but the panels were reclaimed parquet floor panels cut down. the design is actually the way in which after the polish was sanded off, the parquet took the dark stain. i used rustins dark oak with a little light oak.

anyway they work, the client is happy, still, and the drinks item actually holds more booze than it did when a bar, but takes up less space. :lol:

th_tvcabinet3.jpg
[/url]

so the fact is i have made somethings other than bunches of bookshelves.
but always before out of boards. now this hand work is becoming more interesting, although i'll never make any money at it :? too slow.

finally i know the conventional way to make a box is to join boards, make a solid box, then cut the join, but if you have two boards the same width, and you want the box to have both halves the same width, is there another way to join it without the same effort? i understand the idea is to ensure that the box is parallel etc, but wonder whether there is another way.

thanks for looking

paul :wink:
[/img]

Hi Paul,

I know I shouldn't assume, but from your reference to making a box, you mean parting off the lid of a box so it fits? (After some touching up.)

The reasons for making the whole box, before parting off the lid are:

a) Any slight 'out of squareness' will not be noticed, and the lid will fit.
(Contrary to popular belief and if the worker is honest, finished boxes are sometimes slightly out of square!)

b) The grain pattern on the timber will look better.

c) Provided you run the lid joint through the centre of a wider dovetail, (worked for the purpose) the joint between lid and box will be all but invisible.

d) That's the way I was taught to do it!

Out of pure cussedness I have tried making two separate 'boxes', later to be hinged together, but it takes so much fiddling about, it's quicker to do it the 'long' way around!

Have fun. :)

John

thanks john, very helpful, and reinforces my thoughts.

however, by chance, i watched an episode of norm last night where he was turning a leg cover for a painted table. because of the size, he made a glue up, and actually glued to the two parts together through some paper. seemed simple to pull apart.

thought i might try that with a box.

thing is, i have 51/2 wide planks and want the two sides to be that wide too, so i thought i'd look for another method.

having looked at your casket post, rob i agree.
would that i had reached such a level yet.

mind you looks like you have more patience than me too :lol: :twisted:

thanks for the help and interest.
how about a view of the bottom of that plane too :roll:

woodbloke":qb06lioh said:
Benchwayze wrote:
Contrary to popular belief and if the worker is honest, finished boxes are sometimes slightly out of square!
Mine arn't :lol: - Rob

I should hope not Rob! :D

I should add that if any of mine are, they remain with me as useable 'seconds'.

Can never have too many little boxes!

And for paul,
The news-paper trick comes in handy sometimes when you are glueing up two pieces of timber to make matching turned wall brackets (For instance.)

John

I just had another thought Paul.

I am making a 'redesigned' tradesman's tool box. (The sort that looks like a suitcase, with a drop down lid.)

The lid is parted from the main case, and the point where the lid is hinged is a weakness in these. Also the bottom is always difficult to get into, unless you make a drawer, which further weakens the hinge joint.

Plus of course there's the problem of the missing timber, when you've cut away only part of the case. It makes the lid lean inwards! (Difficult to explain!!!)

My re-design means I shall be making a separate box to take the place of the lid, unless I use an alternative method I am considering. So watch this space! :D

John

Latest posts

Back