Some more of my work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walnut Les

Established Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to make comments on my work, be it good or bad as that's how we learn to make more desirable things.
Many thanks for looking Les

Attachments

• woodturnings 001.JPG
    woodturnings 001.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 1,471
I think the 5 that strike out are the three hollow forms at the back and the two pot porri hollow forms at the front. The turning and finish look good to me on all of them

agreed...with the bowls....try and bring the top edge over a little more so there is a slight shoulder overhanging. Less like a dog bowl and more like a continuous curve. When the lip overhangs they just look sweeter.

Many thanks one again guys, the hollow forms have finishing oil on them and the bowls have food safe on them.
This one has 4 coats of finishing oil on it. Les

Attachments

• spalted vase.JPG
    spalted vase.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,399
Your attention to form with the hollow pieces is really good Les. Out of curiosity how long have you been turning? Your questions seem to be those of someone new to the craft, yet your hollow forms suggest more experience? The hollowing of a narrow necked vessel is pretty advanced turning and yet your shallow bowls have a younger feel to them. You're an enigma Les :)

Many thanks Bob, I have been turning off and on for about 7 years now following a bad car crash and now I only turn when I'm not in pain.
I have been looking at the wood turning forums for the past couple of years but have stayed away from joining or posting on them as I have problems with spelling and putting in to words what I want to say so that's why I probably come across as someone new to the craft.
Many thanks once again for replying to my post as I'm willing to learn and take on board all comments made about my turnings. Les

Walnut Les":talxw7qo said:
Many thanks Bob, I have been turning off and on for about 7 years now following a bad car crash and now I only turn when I'm not in pain.
I have been looking at the wood turning forums for the past couple of years but have stayed away from joining or posting on them as I have problems with spelling and putting in to words what I want to say so that's why I probably come across as someone new to the craft.
Many thanks once again for replying to my post as I'm willing to learn and take on board all comments made about my turnings. Les

Just don't worry about a thing with this forum Les. No-one is judging you for your writing skills or grammar :) Just get stuck in old son, we love picture posts and your're among friends here so don't think twice about it. Apart from anything else, your work is to a high standard so you've nothing whatever to worry about. Post away matey. Sorry to hear of your car crash woes.

Random Orbital Bob":3b5cz2a5 said:
Just don't worry about a thing with this forum Les. No-one is judging you for your writing skills or grammar :) Just get stuck in old son, we love picture posts and your're among friends here so don't think twice about it. Apart from anything else, your work is to a high standard so you've nothing whatever to worry about. Post away matey. Sorry to hear of your car crash woes.

+1 for that Les people don't worry about things like that they are interested in other work.

Less I was fortunate when I started wood turning as a therapeutic break from a stress situation, I came from a professional background where finish and integrity of product was paramount.
This more or less forced me to be super critical of stuff I produced as far as finish was concerned.
The fact that design or form was abysmal when viewed by proficient turners never occurred to me, but I basked in the self knowledge that the finish that others would see was good.

When I first opened up your thread and looked at the images with the perception that as someone new to the forum you may not have been turning long, the first thing that registered with me was that as far as I could see the finish was excellent, only when I thought a bit more about the vases did it register with me that turning was not so new to you, but regardless the finish is such that it still stands up as a major attribute to me.

Back