Some Christmas cards from MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandybay

Reaction score
I had a play in the shed with some cards I pinched off the table while my wife was busy writing all our Christmas cards.

93a4de06-abea-4f56-a6da-27c59ee2f386_zpse3a6370f.jpg

3c0df94a-23de-4cff-bcd1-73e8a88dd1f2_zps45d83080.jpg

I cut them down the fold and glued the fronts to the 3mm MDF. Drilled an entry hole and cut out the centre section in one piece. I gave the back of the pieces a quick sand and then stuck the back section of card onto the back of the square front section, if that makes sense. All that remained was to cut the centre section into jigsaw pieces and source a slightly larger envelope that the wooden card would fit into.
I made about 10 in the end but they cost about £1.20 each to post.

Bryan Bennett":3et50rhr said:
Sandybay very impressed with the idea,I personally keep away from MDF because of the dust problem.

Bryan

I know what you mean Bryan, and MDF does get very poor press but in this instance I think it works perfectly. It's cheap as chips, dimensionally stable and there are no horrible splinters which you can tend to get with birch ply unless you are very particular about sanding.

These are fantastic! I am definitely going to have a go at making some, although I too tend to steer clear of MDF so will use ply. What type of glue did you use to glue on the cards?

Jimi

Hi Jimi,
I used MDF mainly because I had some and it's as cheap as chips. Again I used ordinary white wood glue mainly because I had some beside me and that's as cheap as chips as well. I even used cheap cards from Tesco's. Can you see a theme devloping here?

I showed the missus, she really likes them, so I will be making some for family members next year.

Like you I will probably use MDF, I will do the cutting/sanding outside, with a hover attached to scroll saw and also just for safety I will wear a mask.

Baldhead

Baldhead":3w4cl96n said:
I showed the missus, she really likes them, so I will be making some for family members next year.

Like you I will probably use MDF, I will do the cutting/sanding outside, with a hover attached to scroll saw and also just for safety I will wear a mask.

Baldhead

Wise move (hammer) . About 20 years ago I cut some toys out of MDF before I'd read about the health hazards, no mask and in a poorly ventilated attic. I'm sure I'm still feeling the effects now #-o

Regards Keith

Back