softening edges with a rounder bit.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTMonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Yes this is probably idleness on my part but can anyone point me to a tool that allows me to soften edges.

I have seen the veritas stuff and the reviews aren't great, other than sandpaper is there a router bit on the UK market that can do a small radius roundover?

Thanks.

Mark

Whilst I am normally a fan of Veritas stuff, their roundover tool is disappointing, IMHO. It just doesn't work very well. Fine if you are always with the grain but the moment you hit a bit of reverse grain, the edge rips up and is ruined. That's my experience, anyway.
There are lots of roundover radius cutters on the market, but have you considered doing the job with a block plane or a spokeshave? I love my Veritas spokeshaves, they are excellent.
It's very satisfying and a lot less noisy.
Give it a whirl.
S

In my last job it was done with 'sandpaper' and we had to hit an exact 45 degrees and a uniform 1mm else the boss hit the roof.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

Yes "sandpaper" and "taking off the arris".
But why do it simply when you can make a job of it and do it with an expensive and noisy machine?

UTMonkey":2y5qqz3s said:
Thanks for the advice, your suggestions do have one important prerequisite..... skill. :)
It's easier with sandpaper than doing it with a machine. Less skill than wiping your pineapple. Try doing that with router!

If your taking the arris off 'pre-assembled' parts then a round over bit in a router table set up would be the way to go, if the parts are assembled/part assembled then sandpaper is your best bet, one slip with a power tool on a finished project and people in Timbuctoo will hear you swearing :D

By the time you've set up your router, got your ppe on, and routed the first edge, you'll have done them all with sandpaper. No more skill required, it's just rubbing a block down the edge instead of a router.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

barkwindjammer":19ynvl2y said:
If your taking the arris off 'pre-assembled' parts then a round over bit in a router table set up would be the way to go, if the parts are assembled/part assembled then sandpaper is your best bet, one slip with a power tool on a finished project and people in Timbuctoo will hear you swearing :D

Have we ever met, that observation was scarey :)

The obvious tool to use is a block plane - it doesn't even have to be an expensive one.
It really does not need much skill to hold a plane at 45 degrees to take a single, flat shaving. I bought one of those tiny Mujingfang style planes on ebay for under a tenner which is ideal for this sort of job.

Back