So, what's wrong with my pendants?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightweeder

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to highjack Chas's thread. I might keep making them, as you have to do something with yer offcuts :wink: but as of Saturday, I've sold one, and you all seem to be doing so well with them. What do you think is the problem ?

LW

I cant see anything wrong with them- i take it you went to a craft fair or somthing on saturday? somtimes you'll have good days sometimes bad you cant predict what everyone will like or not like - somtimes its my worst piece which gets the most comments and sells first - dont figure
the main thing is that you make what you enjoy making or you'll soon make a chore out of a pleasure

i have never made any of these so this answer is only my opinion, as george has said they are nice but they just seem too long to me, you seem to have a pendant then something else hanging from that, and i bet they could become clumsy.

You're possibly selling them in the wrong place or the design needs simplifying. My pendants were just bits of flat burr elm and sold quite a lot during the summer. Lots of things go in and out of fashion or sell well in a particular part of the country.

Perhaps it's lack of colour and/or distinctive wood texture LW. I find folks who go for wood want it to shout out that it is wood, and simple seems to be as effective as complex (busy).

I would keep them simple - maybe with a smaller hole which is positioned off-centre.

Some examples here at the bottom.

I don't think it is your pendants that are at fault though there is a massive amount of jewellery out there and perhaps Chas's which is woody is maybe that bit diferent .
Craft fairs are not doing well at the mment for a lot of people. If you want to sell then as Chas saus, getting your name out there is the best way and getting commissions. Takes time mind. Alternatively check out the online stores, Etsy, Misi and Folksy. These are picking up in sales a s people start looking for things for Christmas, especially the smaller things.

Pete

Maybe it's just me, but when I'm looking for a necklace/pendant it goes one of two ways.

Mostly I look for something that is very simple, it's about the material as much as the shape, bit like the pendants in CHJ's post, if you are going to make another hole in the though, I'd probably be more inclined to put it off centre.

Then there's the other extreme, which tends to a bigger piece with a big hole in it and a load of beads and charms like a loose bunch of grapes hanging just in front of it, but not completely obscuring.

For what it's worth, I'd go the simple route and just make them simple shapes well polished to show off the wood. It's a more classical look, and even if they don't sell right away, I think they're more likely to sell at some point than something done with fashion in mind. Also, earrings always help to sell a set, especially as they then look like a set that can be bought as a gift :)

The best shaped and finished item still needs a market to sell into...

I've often seen craft stalls selling wooden pendants but then looking around at the women present very rarely see any wearing wooden ones,- the majority that do wear pendants tend to have gold /silver or glass ones and this amongst people that visit a craft fair in the first place. Given that, it will probably need exceptional wooden ones to entice a buyer,hence I have never felt the urge to make them (also after seeing other posts here on what is involved in the process!). I group wooden earrings in the same boat - as a woodturner/worker I appreciate what is involved, but I would never buy a pair as a gift and cannot remember the last time I saw any woman wearing some.

I obviously need to keep this study going but it seems to be a range that has a limited market, but no doubt if you find that market then they will sell well.

Dave

Thanks for all your comments.

I should have posted some of the simpler ones, which rely mostly on nice wood and figuring, but neither type seems to sell for me. I think I'll just use up the findings and scraps I have and then call it a day on the pendants.

Yes George, craft fair on Saturday, but I had 40+ lady masons all to myself on Thursday and, while I (understandably) did well, they weren't fussed on the pendants.

Anyway, all your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

They look OK to me one question though how do you display them for sale?

I made a few and carted them around for ages and only sold one or two. The I brought THIS jewelry stand and since then they have been selling very well.

john

The freedom you have as an artisan is that, until you hit on the perfect design, you can change each one slightly til you find something popular. The added benefit for the customer is choice. Although too much choice can be a bad thing. Try selecting perhaps 5 a week for you display and change 2 or 3 out each week.

One thing I've identified among my female friends and family is that slightly chunky jewellery is in at the moment. Bold shapes and sizes.

This kind of thing

Women-Fashion-Necklaces.jpg

but in wood obviously.

jpt":1fyiq0sm said:
They look OK to me one question though how do you display them for sale?

I made a few and carted them around for ages and only sold one or two. The I brought THIS jewelry stand and since then they have been selling very well.

john

John - Lakeland site's down at the moment, but I'll keep looking. I went to a lot of trouble to make a three sided thing, covered with green baize. When that didn't work (though keyrings displayed on it did sell) I decided the items were too far away to touch etc, so I then just swirled them on the table, then I put them in a dish at the front with a big red 'SALE - all £5' on it.

Wizer - very tasteful - the beads - but I confess, I wouldn't have the time or inclination to turn dozens of beads, even if there was a queue down the street for them :wink:

Hi all

As someone who's done a lot of Craft shows - far far too many in fact....I can confirm they're very variable, most being a total waste of time.

I sell amongst a myriad of other things, wooden jewelery - brooches, pendants, earrings and cufflinks....generally not a lot of interest, the occasional sale, but nothing to set the world on fire.

With the current economic climate I'm finding that most sales are for something functional - household, gardening etc, something with a use, something that's expense can be justified.

...anyway, my thoughts.....(........only 6 more Craft shows till Christmas.... :( )

Chris.

Scrums":76fpxbgn said:
Hi all

As someone who's done a lot of Craft shows - far far too many in fact....I can confirm they're very variable, most being a total waste of time.

I sell amongst a myriad of other things, wooden jewelery - brooches, pendants, earrings and cufflinks....generally not a lot of interest, the occasional sale, but nothing to set the world on fire.

With the current economic climate I'm finding that most sales are for something functional - household, gardening etc, something with a use, something that's expense can be justified.

...anyway, my thoughts.....(........only 6 more Craft shows till Christmas.... :( )

Chris.

Thanks Chris. More or less confirms my thoughts but reassuring.

LW

Latest posts

Back