So What

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
So what are you all up to in the workshop I know CHJ is busy making things by his posts and I am busy making a toy train which has some turning on it (I can show if you really want to see it) . Are you all making other things or have you done any turning.

It seems like a lot of questions being asked ( we all have to ask some sometimes) and not much turning.

I've rough turned a very wet chestnut bowl - which cracked and a lump popped out from the rim down about an inch or so. I kept it - and advice on whether I should glue it back on (now or when all dry), or chuck it and when dry, make rough turned bowl into platter?

And I've turned my first ever hawthorn, with inclusions / omissions that I have never turned before either - so a lot of firsts for me this weekend! Photos will follow when finish has dried.

Greg

I'am just finishing a Clock on a pedestal :D , Repairing my Cornish shovel as the handle snapped :evil: also working ( Cucumbering up) on this months challenge (hammer)

<cough> some us have posted turned work this week first-natural-edge-bowl-t79865.html

I've also been busy marking and rough cutting a load of Ash boards for a couple of bedside cabinets, but that will need to be left to season more before work can start properly. Then there's been chopping down the wet Walnut I was given the week before last in something more lathe friendly, then there's cutting up the Oak burrs I bought last week. Oh yes, and some us have to do proper paid work to pay the bills too. When I work it's usually for a full 12hrs+travel so getting into a workshop when I get home isn't always the top of my agenda ;-/

I've been voluntarily flipping burgers at a scout May day function......bloody knackered. Also been experimenting with different grinds on the Sorby pro-edge. That is one fabulous piece of kit. Just so versatile and FAST compared to the Tormek.

I've started on this months challenge with the first part almost complete - won't have much time later in the month, but given the good weather we went for a long walk in the Cotswolds today - lovely. Also got a couple of large plywood palettes off of freecycle yesterday so spent the late afternoon breaking them down to get into the garage before the rains arrived. (I've also been watching rather too much snooker!)

Oh, and I ordered a Beale buffing kit this morning ;-)

Rhossydd":19uucy8w said:
<cough> some us have posted turned work this week first-natural-edge-bowl-t79865.html

I've also been busy marking and rough cutting a load of Ash boards for a couple of bedside cabinets, but that will need to be left to season more before work can start properly. Then there's been chopping down the wet Walnut I was given the week before last in something more lathe friendly, then there's cutting up the Oak burrs I bought last week. Oh yes, and some us have to do proper paid work to pay the bills too. When I work it's usually for a full 12hrs+travel so getting into a workshop when I get home isn't always the top of my agenda ;-/

Sorry missed that one. And I do appreciate that some members have to go out to work.

I thought I would show the progress of the train and you can see the turning I have done so far still need to turn the wheels and buffers.

DSCF3221_zps22ce0f12.jpg

I've started on a mini production run of garden dibbers for a charity plant and garden sale my sister's doing next month, quite therapeutic once I got the proportions and design sorted ! Using some of our large maple tree we took down last spring. Need to do a few more yet and some smaller "pricker outers" too apparently :lol:

Cheers, Paul

Been laid up on the couch all bank holiday weekend with man-flu :-( And my new lathe just sat there in the workshop begging to be played with!

Spent my day roughing out orders for 2 pairs of goblets, finishing off a single one, designing some fancy doorstops, blanking up a load of lime and sycamore and half a dozen burrs for bowls. Oh yes, also cleaned the workshop up. No rush for the pairs of goblets so I'll get those done by the end of the week and build up some more of my stock for coming shows. Need a load of the cheaper stuff like key rings, light pulls and fridge magnets.

Pete

sorted out and marked several bits of wood to cut using my new bandsaw into bowl blanks. But, Once again it would not work. last week I had to fit new case switches and a starter, Seems like each time I fix it, it will only work for that time. whenever I try to use it for the second time it needs fixing again.
I am niggly with it now. Tomorrow I will wire out the b****dy switches altogether. If that doesn't work I will wire the motor direct to a 32 amp supply.

So used my 10+ year old Ryobi sawtable to rip some timber to make a run for the baby geese that are coming along and collected another trailer load of horse pooh for the garden.

I've been busy making a cabin style bunk bed for the granddaughter.
I'll post a pic when done, no WIP on this one this time.

Working on a ash bowl ready to colour and put liming wax on having trouble with the finish coz its got to be spot on for spirit staining had a lot of fine cracks appear cant shift the little pippers
Bill

I hace been turning a pen pot out of sweet chestnut, which is a very nice looking wood, but I don't have a tool I feel happy getting right to the bottom corners with....... Then the workshop fell down.
Well, not really but a brick wall that separates my chunk of the workshop from SWMBOs took on a very unhealthy looking wobble and I had to demolish it.

Grahamshed":2ltiw5l3 said:
I hace been turning a pen pot out of sweet chestnut, which is a very nice looking wood, but I don't have a tool I feel happy getting right to the bottom corners with

Hi

Two tools will do the job you wish:

For square corners:

http://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/catalo ... egory/518/

And for radiused ones:

http://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/tools/ ... -4-handled

The box scraper is pretty easy to grind at home from a standard scraper - the bedan, (which incidently, is not what Sorby has illustrated :( ) is a little more difficult, but can be ground from any tool with a 3/8" square section.

Regards Mick

I am busy working towards an exhibition in June, there are so many things I have to do between now and then! Give a demo to Offchurch Woodturners, an ordination gift!!!

Anyway, today I turned a 15 inch dish from Sycamore with the shape similar to a flying saucer with some burnt lines.

SAM_1779a.JPG

Regards, Peter,

I like that Peter, how did you burn the lines? I've used an old guitar string on spindles but that wouldn't work on a flat surface like that...

I am trying to tidy up the garage workshop so that I can keep it tidy! If I can keep it that way, then the limited time I get to play may be a little more productive.

petercharlesfagg":1cun8rm3 said:
with some burnt lines.
I've been trying to avoid burnt lines !

Working with Maple and Cocobolo making an ear-ring stand - it's finished all but the application of sealer and/or bees-carnuba wax - this is where I would appreciate advice. Cocobolo is quite oily and takes a superb finish both off the tool and after going through the grits (to 1000). The Maple came from a spare draw front that I had left over when I refitted my kitchen so is fully seasoned and very white, it also burnishes to a sheen but I had to take great care to avoid creating black lines on the edges. :( I currently think that I should use just the wax as I don't think the cellulose sanding sealer will provide any improvement to the finish - - - but I'm open to persuasion :)

I added an element that I picked up from viewing Jennie Starbuck's site via the Woodworks 14 link - that of using the base to provide space for 'stud' ear-rings and their 'butterflys'.

The ear-rings on the stand are Burbinga & Silver which I made about a month ago.

Overall height 150mm - dia of base 107mm

Attachments

• Maple & Cocobolo Stand - 1.png
    Maple & Cocobolo Stand - 1.png
    234.2 KB · Views: 484
  • Maple & Cocobolo Stand - 2.png
    Maple & Cocobolo Stand - 2.png
    223.1 KB · Views: 484
Back