So I bought a cheap scroll saw...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, sorry, yes, that's one of the problems with scroll saw blades generally. BUT some of the other charts, while not giving an exact "translation" between blade number and blade TPI WILL once again get you into the right ball park. Try the Pegas blades charts. Basically the higher the number the coarser (i.e. the lower the number of TPI).

HTH

OK, sorry, yes, that's one of the problems with blades generally. BUT some of the other charts, while not giving an exact "translation" between blade number and blade TPI WILL once again get you into the right ball park. Try the Pegas blades charts. Basically the higher the number the coarser (i.e. the lower the number of TPI).

HTH

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the threads, numerous videos on YouTube and couldn't find anything that definitive. All I want to know is what blades to use on hardwood from about 9-18mm and is the link I posted suitable. Asking in good faith

OK, I got the following info (I did NOT know it before!) from looking at 2 charts in the sticky mentioned.

The first chart was the "No Fail Blade Chart" and the second was the first of the two Pegas (manufacturer name) charts:

"No Fail" says for "Dense Hardwood between three quarters and one inch thick" (i.e. roughly the 9 to 18 mm thickness you're talking about) you should try a Reverse Tooth or Spiral Blade, Numbers 5, 6, or 7. The first Pegas chart tells us that their Spiral blades are No. 5 = 35 TPI, No. 6 = 34 TPI, and No. 7 = 28 TPI.

As said I found that out with 2 minutes of looking at those two separate charts. I don't want to sound condescending but if I could do that I'm pretty sure you could have done so too.

And if you don't want to use a Spiral blade but a Reverse Tooth blade instead, then I'll let you look yourself at the 2nd Pegas chart in that sticky which lists the blade numbers and TPIs in their Reverse Tooth blade ranges.

If you don't know what Reverse Tooth is, it's a blade where the first few teeth (down at the bottom of the blade, just where it appears through the blade hole in the table) point UPWARDS instead of DOWNWARDS. This is to try and stop the splintering on the bottom of the wood where the cut first enters the job. Depending on the job I find that works quite well in reducing/eliminating splintering on the bottom of the job.

Personally I like Pegas blades, but as also listed in that sticky, there are other manufacturers too. But if you want to try Pegas, Axminster Tools are their distributor in the UK.

Again I don't want to sound either rude or impatient with you, but there is nothing in the above that you couldn't have found out all by yourself, just as well and just as easily I have.

I also knew nothing when I started (and now I only "know" what suits me), but when I started, before I even know about this Forum, I found out the basics all by myself - and I'm NOT "clever", just a bit more than "vaguely interested". Those charts are not the only source for "converting" blade TPIs into blade numbers BTW - there are at least 2 US sites that have that info (though I forget which now). In my own searches I found those charts on line and put them in the sticky to help newcomers(?) like you.

OK, I got the following info (I did NOT know it before!) from looking at 2 charts in the sticky mentioned.

The first chart was the "No Fail Blade Chart" and the second was the first of the two Pegas (manufacturer name) charts:

"No Fail" says for "Dense Hardwood between three quarters and one inch thick" (i.e. roughly the 9 to 18 mm thickness you're talking about) you should try a Reverse Tooth or Spiral Blade, Numbers 5, 6, or 7. The first Pegas chart tells us that their Spiral blades are No. 5 = 35 TPI, No. 6 = 34 TPI, and No. 7 = 28 TPI.

As said I found that out with 2 minutes of looking at those two separate charts. I don't want to sound condescending but if I could do that I'm pretty sure you could have done so too.

And if you don't want to use a Spiral blade but a Reverse Tooth blade instead, then I'll let you look yourself at the 2nd Pegas chart in that sticky which lists the blade numbers and TPIs in their Reverse Tooth blade ranges.

If you don't know what Reverse Tooth is, it's a blade where the first few teeth (down at the bottom of the blade, just where it appears through the blade hole in the table) point UPWARDS instead of DOWNWARDS. This is to try and stop the splintering on the bottom of the wood where the cut first enters the job. Depending on the job I find that works quite well in reducing/eliminating splintering on the bottom of the job.

Personally I like Pegas blades, but as also listed in that sticky, there are other manufacturers too. But if you want to try Pegas, Axminster Tools are their distributor in the UK.

Again I don't want to sound either rude or impatient with you, but there is nothing in the above that you couldn't have found out all by yourself, just as well and just as easily I have.

I also knew nothing when I started (and now I only "know" what suits me), but when I started, before I even know about this Forum, I found out the basics all by myself - and I'm NOT "clever", just a bit more than "vaguely interested". Those charts are not the only source for "converting" blade TPIs into blade numbers BTW - there are at least 2 US sites that have that info (though I forget which now). In my own searches I found those charts on line and put them in the sticky to help newcomers(?) like you.

Thanks for the effort you put into the post. It's a little unclear, condescending and have by your own admission no knowledge and that is how it reads. Like someone with no knowledge has picked up a few words here and there and is now an expert.

Like I said thanks for the effort you put into your post but it's not really what I'm looking for. No hard feelings and I hope we can enjoy the forum together

Last edited:
Thanks for the effort you put into the post. It's a little unclear, condescending and have by your own admission no knowledge and that is how it reads. Like someone with no knowledge has picked up a few words here and there and is now an expert.

Like I said thanks for the effort you put into your post but it's not really what I'm looking for. No hard feelings and I hope we can enjoy the forum together

Well I can only say that to me it's far from unclear. And I really don't know how to make the info clearer for you.

But it MAY be condescending (though not actually intended to be). I just got/get frustrated when someone is apparently getting hung up about TPI (what difference will it make if you try 35 TPI but then find out later that actually 30 - or 40 - TPI would suit you personally better). Neither I nor the charts I pointed to suggest you should try, for e.g. 10 TPI!!

And as to getting hung up about QUOTE: someone with no knowledge who has picked up a few words here and there and is now an expert. UNQUOTE: I've said I'm NOT any sort of expert, but I HAVE achieved enough success to satisfy me in achieving (some) of what I want to achieve to a level that satisfies me. That does not make me an expert (nor a pretend expert either BTW) in my own eyes, but if you care to treat advice freely given in that light, then that is of course entirely up to you.

Personally I shall continue to enjoy my membership here, with or without your participation. What you do is of course entirely your own business.

I don't know why you're so hooked on tpi, but If you want tpi then here's one.

I've seen that one, it was one of the first I looked at. I'll get in touch with a manufacturer and tell them my requirements,

TuffSaws were great at responding when I need help with bandsaw blades. Short, clear and concise answers and in the context of the question. Thanks anyway and I've had some very good help on this thread. Good stuff

For cutting hardwood 9 - 18mm thickness I would use a Niqua Speed No. 5 blade, 33tpi, or a Niqua Pebeco double tooth No.5 which are 17tpi. Had to look up tooth count just for you. ;):)

For cutting hardwood 9 - 18mm thickness I would use a Niqua Speed No. 5 blade, 33tpi, or a Niqua Pebeco double tooth No.5 which are 17tpi. Had to look up tooth count just for you. ;):)

You're a star 🌟 big thanks to AES and the others that have provided very useful help and info

Latest posts

Back