So how many electric drills do you have?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1x 3.6v Parkside screwdriver (not really a drill)
1x Makita 18v drill
1x Makita 18 impact driver
1x Hitachi mains driven drill, but it's borrowed from my dad

Edit: forgot my pilar drill, that too, it's a GERN something.

Three old (metal gearbox) B+D 240V corded drills: 1x single speed, 1x two speed, 1x varispeed
Floor-standing pillar drill
Bench morticer with drilling chuck and sleeve set (often left set for repetitive jobs)
1 green & 1 blue Bosch cordless with duff batteries, kept because the build quality is so much better than...
... 10.8V drill/driver and impact driver (Bosch) (powerful but mechanically very sloppy).
Makita SDS (2kg) on its last legs. 19 years old, owes me nothing.
Proxxon mini-drill (does that count?)

Had a clear-out recently, so just 11 atm. 4 # 10.8v Blue Bosch cordless of various vintages, CXS 10.8v, T15 and T18 drill drivers, PDC 18v combi. Blue Bosch 240v corded hammer drill with junky dust collection, no-brand 240v SDS, ancient green Bosch 240v corded kept in the van, mostly used for mixing - works really well!

Drills I have known...

No-name 18v combi - battery died and no replacements available
Bosch 14.4 combi - ditched it along with all the other 14.4v stuff when I moved to 18v
Dewalt 14.4v NiCad combi - batteries, again
Dewalt 18v NiCad combi, Dewalt 18v NICad impact - was my go-to set for years, great stuff, but batteries, again, and fancied a change...
18v Bosch combi - best hammer action this side of an SDS but terrible batteries
Festool CCD12 drill/driver - didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't love it
Festool TDK 15.6 drill/driver - now this one I hated
Panasonic 12v drill/driver, Panasonic 12v impact, Panasonic 12v SDS - all great stuff, but, you know, batteries...
Bosch 10.8v li impact - grew to loath ’rattlers’ so moved this one along
No-name 240v SDS, like the one I still have, but it just died after some heavy abuse; glad I'd bought a spare.

Edited to add 'drills I have known'

1) Nutool pillar drill.
2) Old blue Black and Decker corded drill (recently died)
3) Another old blue Black and Decker corded drill (just died after being used for polishing)
4) Black and Decker 12v Firestorm Cordless Drill/driver (dead battery)
5) DeWalt 18v cordless drill/driver-Excellent bit of kit.
6) Bosch 10.8v cordless drill/driver-Love it.
7) Bosch green corded drill-Works great.

So perhaps I am not so unusual then. I also have a couple of brace and bit hand drills which get used if I need a large hole in wood and a spade bit isn't suitable. I also have a few egg beaters but I can't remember the last time they were used, not in the last 25 years anyway.

I still have my dad's old B&D D500 drill. Single speed, 3/8" chuck, no hammer, and we thought it was the bees knees, especially with the circular saw and sander attachments. We even had (still have) a vertical and a horizontal stand. I'll never forget the first time I tried drilling into blockwork with a hammer drill and a real masonry bit. What a difference.

I'm glad I started this thread - really interesting.

K

Penny":2caoxf08 said:
One Bosch cordless drill - used for odds and sods around the house and workshop.
One Skill corded drill - normal use in the workshop. It seems to be more powerful and faster than the cordless.
On old B&D corded drill. Good power and with a metal body (yes, that old!) it can go in a clamp. It also has an amazingly long cord.

I forgot:

Lidl Pillar Drill

I've just been given a corded Bosch Brill and a rechargeable Bosch screwdriver. Also a 50 year old hand drill to do along with my 30 year old one.

oh, and my pillar drill too. Plus an old brace that my Dad gave me with even older bits. And an egg beater.

Hmm.

Currently in use.

Metabo 10.8 quick drill and impact driver.
Festool T18.
Knackered Ryobi 18v 3 speed combi and impact driver (very hard to kill the impacts).
Very old Dewalt 12v NiCad drill driver (batterys only just useful).
Very old green Boschhammer sds (bit tired now but still love it, very light for what it does).
Dewalt sds, no chisel feature :( brought to replace the bosch (years ago) which has refused to die.
Aldi mortice/drill press.

Others I have known.

Very old Dewalt 9.6 combi - loved this drill, lots more torque than other higher voltage drills - batterys past best so dads got it as a spare now.
Another Dewalt 12v NiCad drill driver, batterys past best - gave to somebody that needed a drill.
Wagner 14.4 (I think) drill driver, good for its time. Charger died, un-economical to fix.
Ryobi 18v 2 speed combi, burnt out after a couple of years hard use.
Ryobi 18v 3 speed combi and impact driver - stolen.
Another Ryobi 18v impact, killed during a manic 18 months at work - used all day 7 days a week, doing up bolts and screws beyond its spec - RIP.
Bosch 14.4 NiCad drill driver, very nice drill - destroyed by an silly person labourer.
Dewalt 18v 3 speed combi NiCad, very good when new - lots of power and speed, build quality not great - was on its last legs when I melted the batterys driving lots of 4" screws.

I think that's it (?). Nope -1 more added.

I want a new 18v impact but I'm waiting to see what festool come up with before I retire the last of my Ryobi gear.

I like drills :)

I have just the 4.

Hitachi 18v cordless and impact driver
BOSCH SDS hammer drill
and my new acquired Sealey Pillar drill.

I don't tend to keep old tools, when I bought the hitachi set I sold off my old cordless stuff.

Not really got the space and would rather have the money out of the items to buy more useful tools.

Pillar drill, Makita 18V cordless (with three batteries), Wolf impact (mains), a couple of eggbeaters and a Dremel with bits for small work.

I have a Bosch SDS+ that I use for core drilling (when required, perhaps a couple of times a year)
A Ryobi 240v 13mm Hammer Drill (that rarely gets used) and
2x Ryobi One+ 18v Cordless one hammer/driver one drill/driver
and a Ryobi One+ Impact Driver

I forgot pillar drills.

Axminister varaible speed floor standing.
Fobco bench.

Pete

OK, confession time.
Fobco pillar drill
18V de Walt hammer
18V Bosch Blue hammer
18v Bosch Green hammer (newest drill in the pack, and already giving up)
12V Atlas Copco, with dead switch; beautiful powerful drill when it was working
24V Blue Bosch SDS (just don't get in its way)
240V Blue Bosch SDS
B&D gold/white two speed mains - must be 30 years old, but still useful occasionally
B&D Quattro mains - that really ought to go, it's carp and always was
1/2" Wolf rear handle (possibly older than 30 years, but good)
Dremel (does that count?)
and, of course, drill chucks for the Mystro and the Super7

Sounds like some of you need to let go and stop hoarding your old broken/worn out drills. :shock:

At the age of 8 I got my first 3.6V drill/screwdriver I don't really remember a lot about it but it was 18 years ago! I think it was branded as Richmond? I remember it was a heap of junk that would drill about 5 3mm holes per battery charge, I remember always having to resort to using my dads hand drill a lot as mine lived on the charger.

For my 11th birthday I got my first "real" cordless drill, I don't remember a lot about that either but I do remember it was a 12V Black and Decker with a 10mm chuck and only had one battery. That drill lasted me 4 years of quite a fair bit of abuse to be perfectly honest. After that drill died a slow and painful death I saved my pocket money for a long time and bought a 12V Bosch green drill with 2 batteries. That drill lasted about 3 weeks before I let the magic smoke out of it. Why I didn't just take it back I don't know but I was so mad that I made a point of telling everyone I could about the heap of junk.

After telling one of my dads work colleges about it he gave me his beaten up 2 year old 18V Dewalt combi drill and treated himself to another one. Amazing! :shock: I got about another 3 years of serious abuse out of that before the batteries wore out. After that I replaced it with a 14.4V Dewalt combi, bit of a mistake really, although it was a good performing drill I should of just spent the extra £30 on the 18V version and then I could of used the spare 18V battery with my existing drill and had 2! #-o

That lasted me up until early last year when both batteries had worn out. Quite impressive really. Although the batteries were cheap enough to replace I treated myself to a new 18V Dewalt DCD985 combi drill and DCF895 brush-less impact driver set with 4Ah li-ion batteries. Both are absolutely fantastic.

Last Thursday I went to ELEXSHOW in Harrogate and spent far too long in the Milwaukee Truck trying out the tools. I ended up buying a set with the M12 CPD brush-less combi drill and the M12 CID brush-less impact driver with a pair of 4Ah li-ion batteries. I've been a big fan of Dewalt tools for a while but I feel as though their 10.8V range of tools is rather lacking.

Because I throw my old stuff away :p my drill/driver line up consists of:
Dewalt DCD985 18V Combi
Dewalt DCF895 18V Impact
Milwaukee M12 FUEL CPD Combi
Milwaukee M12 FUEL CID Impact
I'm thinking about getting another 2 of the M12 Combi drills as they make a great all around bench drill and its handy to have 3, oh it has a 13mm chuck too! I'm not aware of any other 10.8V/12V drill with a 13mm chuck? =D>

Latest posts

Back