smoke detectors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
just a thought,
any one else having a problem with their smoke detector when
using a table saw or similar???

ran about 4 feet of pine through my 744 this afternoon, and having it
in a bedroom (not for sleeping in! :lol: :lol: )
i thought it would be alright, but very soon the smoke detector went off.
nice to know they are sensitive, but for dust??? :?

anyone else have this problem,
or know a solution???

paul :wink:

I used to get it alot on site / doing peoples houses up .It was a real pain if doing a loft conversion as some of the fire alarms where linked direct to call the fire brigade :oops: The lads kept saying i was setting them off because i wanted to see the firemen :roll: :lol:

Hi Paul
Fine dust does ste off fire alarms, I was working at Liberty's a few weeks ago and they stopped me from working for the same thing until they put the covers on.

As Colin said put a cover over it or a bag with an elastic band , just remeber to take it off when your done .

Paul
Yes, dust will set them off. Look at it this way - a decent smoke alarm or a decent smoke detector will activate when smoke particles are too small to be noticed by the human sense of smell. That goes to show just how much ultra fine dust goes into the air when we use a table saw!
There is only one answer and that is to cover the device until the dust has gone. But......please remember to take the cover off as soon as you have stopped making a mess in the atmosphere!
A lacky band and a poly bag should do the trick. Or a shower cap if you want to be posh.
If it is actually a smoke detector ratner than a self-contained alarm you might be able to get hold of one of the factory covers that come with the devices before installation.
Vacuum out the device if it has got dust in it to ensure it will operate correctly.

Cheers.

SF

Get your blade sharpened if its burning the wood that much :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jason

thanks jason, must confess i have been using this cmt blade for a long time,
although not frequently if that makes sense?? :lol:
i actually have not used the saw for a bit, but the blade has been there
some time without sharpening. part of it could be the blade, part feed rate,
and maybe i am also overloading the saw... :?
still it is nice to know it is not an unusual thing, but it does worry you
when sawdust is so damaging to the fire detector.

maybe i'd better get that extractor jason :) :)
paul :wink:

Not just yet , i was doing a clean up on the floor and sucked up a lump of timber #-o and smashed the fan on the extractor i was using . The part is on the way but when ..... :roll:

Latest posts

Back