small workspaces, show me yours!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johnny,

Keep an eye out for a metal working bench on ebay, lot cheaper than woodworking benches.

Bench 004.JPG

Mine were £30 quid each and £15 for delivery.

Attachments

• Bench 004.JPG
    Bench 004.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 84
an excellent idea Mr_P I see that you have an enthusiastic apprentice ! :mrgreen:
Actually the metal frame base I am using under the scoot was an agricultural Engineers bench bought off ebay ! great minds think alike eh .

I do have a Mig welder and soon will have an Arc welder too so I shall probably end up making my own . That way I can design the height /size I want and build in some cupboards beneath for my tools but I'll keep an eye on ebay in the meantime in case something turns up locally .

I wanted to make my own but when I found these I felt like I'd won the lottery. Might still be an idea to look for one, no idea how much tubular steel costs but if you find a cheap bench and have the skills and tools to adjust it to your perfect size it might be the cheapest solution.

Apprentice not much cop, initial excitement didn't last long and think that was the last time she even went into the garage. Have a new recruit that seems keen but she could just be after the cat.

:lol: :lol: :lol: that made me larf....you look after that cat .....they are brilliant at holding things down on the workbench when you're working.!

Prompted by this thread I have decided to have a major tidy up and throw away as much of my hoarded junk and rubbish as I can bear. The workshop is an embarrassing and dreadful mess, so the tidy-up is going quite well.
I just thought I'd show a couple of space saving ideas that work for me.

SCMS takes up too much space for the amount of use I give it. This solution isn't pretty or skilled in it's manufacture, but it works.

DSCF5488.jpg

DSCF5489.jpg

Router table in the outfeed. Not new but worth a mention?

DSCF5490.jpg

Table saw on a mobile base fits under [partially] the lathe.

DSCF5492.jpg

Centre height is just below nipple height, can stand on something if I need to.

DSCF5496.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF5488.jpg
    DSCF5488.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF5489.jpg
    DSCF5489.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF5490.jpg
    DSCF5490.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF5492.jpg
    DSCF5492.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF5496.jpg
    DSCF5496.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 47
johnny":20v3dc9u said:
Benchwayze":20v3dc9u said:
John...

I wasn't doubting it would be a strong bench. I was thinking of the safety issues when you wheel the bike up a ramp.

Maybe I am looking at it from a 75 year old's perspective, with regard to the effort it would take. :mrgreen: (hammer)

yes you are right it certainly could be a safety issue with the XS650 which weighs nearly 500Ibs ! Not sure I'll be able to put the bike on the workbench but the scooter would be easier enough .
If you see how flimsy the bike stands are you'd understand why I wanted something more substantial and higher too. I'm only a mere 63 but I still find it tough working on my knees for extended periods.

Johnny...

No. One Son has a Harley which he is restoring, and he built his own stand from angle iron. (He can weld, up to a point.) So I thought ALL bike stands were up to that level! How naive of me! :mrgreen: I know about the knees too. Both mine are replacements, and help from aforesaid son is required more frequently these days! :?

Benchwayze":35f4zwv8 said:
Johnny...

No. One Son has a Harley which he is restoring, and he built his own stand from angle iron. (He can weld, up to a point.) So I thought ALL bike stands were up to that level! How naive of me! :mrgreen: I know about the knees too. Both mine are replacements, and help from aforesaid son is required more frequently these days! :?

No 1 Son show promise :lol:

Our young bloke rides horses .....easier to get started in the morning

No. one Son very easy to get started. I'll give him that. Never been to the treacle-stick in his life, and always managed to find a job. Although I confess as a qualified mechanic, that should be the case. I still think his greatest achievement was to get married and present us with a lovely grand-daughter a couple of years ago.

:D

Latest posts

Back