Small workshop - Pent or Apex?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy121

Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm in the final design stage of my new shed build and wanted to get some advice for the pros and cons of each.

I am only 5ft 4" so height isn't a major factor...much! I intend on using felt on the roof with insulation later on.

Here is a very rough 3d model of both with me in Blue ;)
pent-OR-apex.png

I intend on using the shed for storage and the use of a mini workshop as I do a lot of woodworking in my spare time :)

This is where it hit me, Pent or Apex? I like both and so far the pros I have noticed are that a Pent roof will cost me less (£23.04p exactly).

So thoughts? cons/pros etc?

Cheers guys!

So I'm in the final design stage of my new shed build and wanted to get some advice for the pros and cons of each.

I am only 5ft 4" so height isn't a major factor...much! I intend on using felt on the roof with insulation later on.

Here is a very rough 3d model of both with me in Blue ;) View attachment 144122

I intend on using the shed for storage and the use of a mini workshop as I do a lot of woodworking in my spare time :)

This is where it hit me, Pent or Apex? I like both and so far the pros I have noticed are that a Pent roof will cost me less (£23.04p exactly).

Cheers guys!
I'd use the space between tween the rafters for timber storage.

Last edited:
I have never built a shed, but my instinct is to say there is no benefit to an apex over a pent.

I'm pretty tall, so can only ever stand up straight in the middle of an apex, a pent would give me more usable space, but I would say the same would be true for anyone, in as much as a long shelf could be put across the top of the window and door giving good storage.

Taller apex, say 40º pitch, costs little extra, sheds water better, gives more air and hence better quality, can be a storage space, could have skylight for top class daylighting, better electric lighting if high and not just above head height, might be room for handling 8x4ft sheets or turning longer pieces of wood.

do urself a favour and just buy steel panel insulated roof.....
it will self support over 3.5m at 40mm thick....
saves on wood plus it's already white inside...
No maintainence....
it's just fit and forget for at least 20 yers and prob more ........
I'd go pent because it's fast and watertight in a couple hours.......

You don't mention it's position within your property, but essentially it comes down to your preference, the pent roof is simpler not having a ridge and just a single gutter run but others will prefer an apex which might allow more height under the building regs.

You don't mention it's position within your property, but essentially it comes down to your preference, the pent roof is simpler not having a ridge and just a single gutter run but others will prefer an apex which might allow more height under the building regs.
Its at the rear of my property, there is a large area (14x6ft) that i intend on using for the shed, i like both and ease of building isn't an issue i enjoy woodworking so like challenges :D Jameshow pointed out about storage in the ceiling which i like the idea of, I'm a short chap so height isn't too major really but if I'm working with larger projects i will probably just rip it down outside of the shed anyway, i just want something a little bit better than a bog standard shed that keeps the temp better also, none of this fully insulated stuff just basic stuff haha

Both styles have their pro's an con's , apex gives you more height but only in the middle section,extra storage in the rafters can come in useful .
Pent is easier and quicker to build, no overhead rafters to store things on but gives a clear space to swing stuff around,only one gutter to clean out
Can you go wider than 6 foot? 8 foot would give you more room to swing a cat.
Where you are putting the shed/workshop would imho look better with a pent roof rather than apex:)

As above with some of the replies. Apex affords a bit more space to use for storage and to recess lighting better, or somewhere to route extractor tubing.

I admire you guys for working in such small spaces. I couldn't do it. I do believe the cost of insulation for a small shop is very low and skimping on some of it just makes it cool off faster or take that much more to heat up and it takes very little extra effort to do well. Always your decision.

Pete

Here is a very rough 3d model of both with me in Blue ;) View attachment 144122

Cheers guys!
Hello,
For me the decision would be quite simple, an apex roof is a much nicer looking shed so if you have to look at it and want it to look nice always go for an apex. Make sure the apex is a good pitch, a shallow pitch is no good for the English weather. It will cost more but will be many times better.
Regards

As Seascaper says
Plus go to somewhere selling sheds and look at their assembled showroom walk around look at each from different angles and see which aesthetically appeals most. - that will help you decide. See what angle they use for the Pent.
Door position is important, do you want a long bench or a shorter one with the door alongside?
Think about overhead lighting at this stage

I'm still leaning towards pent, but I agree with others that apex does give better run off for water, so I'd be looking to get the maximum slope I reasonably could regardless of design. I'd also make sure you get really heavy duty roofing felt rather than the normal thin tat that is everywhere, I gather they sell thicker felt for flat roofs, or possibly better the edpm kits that have no seams Skyguard Garden Building Roofing Kit Membrane 10' x 7'

I'd also definately look to insulate

I made mine with a flat level roof, and added firring strips on top to create the pent. The result is that I was able to maximise the height within the workshop, and allows me to store tools hanging from the ceiling.

Attachments

• IMG_0875.JPG
    IMG_0875.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 0
https://cdn.imagearchive.com/ukworkshop/data/attach/124/124761-IMG20220913095240.jpg
You have stated in the previous threads on the same subject that the shed is going on the paved area where this small shed is currently located. Photo the location above.

I understand that the lawn is small so space is at a premium.

You want to maximum the size of the shed in this small space, well I would.

In one of your previous threads in the last week or so you have stated that the wall with the trellis on top is about 2.3m high.

If you leave a gap between the shed and the walls you will have difficulty removing leaves etc which, combined with the lack of sunlight to dry, will rot the back of the shed.

If you leave a bigger gap so you can get in clean behind the shed you will loose a lot of space. You could put the shed up high enough so that the leaves either blow out or you could rake and hose them out but that reduces the available height.

As I suggested in one of the earlier threads on the same subject a week ago why not rest the shed roof on the top of the wall. this would remove the gap completely giving you more space.

Since you do not own the property? in part with the council you do not want to fix to the wall.
"The wall could take the vertical load from the snow or people on the roof. You would have to have some timber ties from the roof joists down to the the shed floor to stop the wind trying to lift the roof. The end panels of the shed would have to be able be more substantial to stop racking as the wall side would not help."

It looks like the trellis runs down the middle of the wall so that limit the bearing width on the top of the wall, unless you received permission or just removed the trellis and replaced it when you left.

I would go for a pent roof. Slope toward the lawn if the trellis can not be removed or the car parking space behind the wall is just designated rather than part of the house's curtilage.

It's not your height, but size of projects. It will be difficult to move 8ft lengths in 6ft shed. Doing roughing cuts outside is fine, till the rain and wind get up.
I got an apex 24 x 8, was 16x8 till I lengthened it.
It's a low height low pitch apex, wish I'd gone for a taller apex, as no overhead storage, and if I've got my face shield up, it catches on cross beams, I'm only 5ft 8, but feel enclosed.

If Doing it again I'd go for full height apex and 16 x 10 or 12, 8ft too narrow really, imagine 6ft even tighter.

(Going from 16 to 24 doesn't help working space, but great for storage.)

Latest posts

Back