Small workshop layout.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bkn

Established Member
Reaction score
Di1bW.jpg

vs7FI.jpg

Could anyone give me some comments/crits on this layout please?

I have storage space in the beams of the roof for timber and sheet goods will be stored outside so there's no need for anywhere for them.

Thomas...what type of material are you going to cut on the table saw? If sheets then isn't the router table going to get in the way?

Have you thought of putting the stuff on wheeled bases?

Hi tom i agree with roger put every thing you can on wheels also you havnt shown any tool storage and believe me my workshop is the same size and i just seem to gather tools now i have to shift things every time i need to do something, in the 2 years ive had the workshop ie moved things round twice and i think ive got it right now :lol:

RogerS":2pwxhf3y said:
Thomas...what type of material are you going to cut on the table saw? If sheets then isn't the router table going to get in the way?

Have you thought of putting the stuff on wheeled bases?

Aye everything will be on wheels.

Everything on the left will be the same height and the router table fence can just be taken off when the T/S is in use or I could pull it away from the wall and use it.

halken - there is (or will be) tool storage under both workbenches and the brown inset bit at the end has that holed board stuff to hang tools off. More storage can be hung on the walls or put in the free wall space to the right when needed.

Chems - I've got a stand-a-lone table top router which would be a pain to incorporate into the table + I'd like to keep things separate enough to not have to constantly be removing fences etc.

Work out where your dust extraction is going to live first, then set the rest out to suite

Allan

I think its good.

Using the router top as an out feed table is a good way to save space.

As for extraction, for the size of the shop and with only 3 machines a portable one that can be used with hand held tools stored under the workbench would be enough.

Its hard to make suggestions though without first knowing what you will be using material wise and what you plan to make out of it.

WOW wish my workshop was that big. I have had to cut holes in the wall to pass anything longer than 6ft to the outside world then bring it back in again.

Mine is 12ft *7ft, cant work in millipedes

Can you tell us where the door is pls

Have you any proposals for either natural or mechanical ventilation as with the best will in the world you will have some dust in the air and its nice to be able to move it on out.

I would put the BS over with the other power tools, much easier for power cables and dust extraction.

Depending on the kit the table saw or router table could be used for an off-take table for the BS

Your shop is about same size as mine Thomas, only difference is I've got my workbench in a small room at the back of the garage so can shift some gear out of the "machine shop". See my website here (click on "Inside the Workshop"),

http://www.orcamesh.com/Orcamesh/My_Woodwork_Albums/My_Woodwork_Albums.html

where you will find tons of photos, and your BS & TS are in roughly same position as mine. It works well. Both on wheels. Sometimes tight in there but everything is workable. 8x4 sheets can be sawn on trestle outside with portable saw. My WV1000 extractor gets dragged round the shop at the mo as there is no best place to leave it, it works and in this size of shop you need flexibility depending on what you are doing at any one time. So I think what you've got is pretty good and over time you will discover what is best...
cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back